Charged With Murder

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Pcgoss

Charged With Murder

Post by Pcgoss »

Interesting story of a climber being charged with murder.... long but interesting read

http://www.rockclimbing.com/Articles/Ge ... _1022.html\
"Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up." — Attributed to Alan Shepard, the first American astronaut (makes a good rappelling prayer)
DriskellHR

Post by DriskellHR »

nice find mini-goss, pretty f'ed up though.
"....... Be sure to linger......." Mike Tucker
Brentucky

Post by Brentucky »

yep, f'd up. of course the cannabis gets blamed again for the user's stupidity!
efil lanrete... i enjoy the sound, but in truth i find this seductively backward idea to be quite frightening
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

Wow...very interesting read. I am amazed the grandy jury indicted for murder. It seems to me the actual cause of death was the victims failure to tie in properly. I could maybe see a criminally negligent homicide charge....
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
Pcgoss

Post by Pcgoss »

I dunno if this was fiction or fact though... something to think about!
"Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up." — Attributed to Alan Shepard, the first American astronaut (makes a good rappelling prayer)
Barnacle Ben

Post by Barnacle Ben »

Fake.

Edit. This comment summed it up for me:
Sounds like a bad after school special...seems like someone would have caught wind of this accident/case before now and made a bigger stink of it before this was printed. I respectfully question the validity of the article.
And I'm not calling it 'fiction' because the author is apparently trying to pass it off as a true story, which is fucking dumb.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Yup.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
steep4me

Post by steep4me »

Plus, getting high before you climb is CHEATING (it artificially lowers one's anxiety so they can climb more efficiently). They're really big scaredy cats, until they toke :-)

I don't climb with people who are high (I have seen stoners half way up a route when the rope falls off the harness due to the knot being only halfway tied; stoners dropping draws; stoned belayers almost decking ther climber due to spacing out etc..). No thanks!

I have no objection to people smoking in other situations though. Save it for around camp in the evenings.

That all being said, I can't believe they charged him for murder due to smoking and sandbagging. Since when are you responsible for another's decisions just because you go climbing with them? If I climb with stoned people and get dropped and injured, that's my own stupidity for climbing with that person. This indictment is a product of ignorant couch potato's perceptions :roll: .
Hauling a big ego up a route adds at least a full grade.
bjdm151

Post by bjdm151 »

I might be inclined to believe that if it was written like a news article and not short fiction. If you are reporting news and not making shit up why would you change names, dates, and places.
Stuff
krampus

Post by krampus »

steep4me wrote:I don't climb with people who are high (I have seen stoners half way up a route when the rope falls off the harness due to the knot being only halfway tied; stoners dropping draws; stoned belayers almost decking ther climber due to spacing out etc..). No thanks!
check, check, double check and check again. If basic safety is an instinct those issues are not as prevalent.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared