Fixed Gear

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
climb2core

Re: Fixed Gear

Post by climb2core »

Kipp, I can only aspire to be as "progressive" as you.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

no worries brah...takes a real "out of the box" thinker to get this stuff right;)
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
krampus

Post by krampus »

climb2core wrote:This is more than about me. If they are there, people will clip them. Think bigger than yourself Kenny ;)
good god, you sound like the antagonist in an Ann Rand book. :D

Personally, I don't care what the ethic is. I will not remove anyone's gear unless it is dangerous, or the landowner decrees.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

krampus wrote:
climb2core wrote:This is more than about me. If they are there, people will clip them. Think bigger than yourself Kenny ;)

Personally, I don't care what the ethic is. I will not remove anyone's gear unless it is dangerous, or the landowner decrees.
Krampus, you don't HAVE to do anything. And if people would voluntarily not leave or abandon aluminum gear, then it is a non issue. The suggested ethic is pull your project gear after 30 days. Perhaps just leave it as the suggested ethic and hold a "yank the mank" event in Dec to pull abandoned aluminum gear.
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

climb2core wrote:
krampus wrote:

Krampus, you don't HAVE to do anything. And if people would voluntarily not leave or abandon aluminum gear, then it is a non issue. The suggested ethic is pull your project gear after 30 days. Perhaps just leave it as the suggested ethic and hold a "yank the mank" event in Dec to pull abandoned aluminum gear.
Actually, if people would take responsibility for themselves then it would be a non-issue...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Russ, I got a scenario for you...

21 year old kid just got accepted to Med school. He comes down to the Red for a week end and has been climbing mid 11. He and his buddies head out to Marley to check out the steep stuff. He gets on Beta Vul (it is a 5.11 jug haul for the most part, right) and takes a whip at the crux. Problem is, he really hasn't heard about all this "self responsibility" stuff and climbs in a gym where it is just assumed that the draws are fine. So, it turns out the crux draw has a ginsu biner on it cuts his rope. He decks, sustains head injuries and goes into a coma. 2 weeks later he is pronounced brain dead.

Now his parents loved the hell out that kid and are looking for someone to blame. The dad did well for himself and has ample means to hire a team of attorneys. He does some poking around and finds out that the community knew about the problem and had taken the attitude "It's your fault dood" Then he finds out his son was climbing on the land that was owned by that community of climbers. Now he is really pissed and goes after the owners, the RRGCC. He sues the shit out of them. Now of course we will contend that RRGCC has nothing to do with it, but the coalition will have to defend its position in court. Have you ever been in a civil suit? It can easily run in the HUNDRED's of thousands. The RRGCC is unable to raise the money necessary to fight the suit and land closures follow.

So, now we have a dead kid that was perhaps preventable, and our precious climbing land shut down where if "we own it, they can't close it" has now backfired. But you are right Russ... you will be just fine.
clif

Post by clif »

i'd want to see his birth certificate
training is for people who care, i have a job.
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

I don't buy the scenario... To be around climbing for more than a week and not be aware of the "draw-mah" of climbing, the inherent dangers or to never have heard the words "personal responsibility" ? And if it's the case that a climber can get that far into a career of climbing and not be aware, then the energy is definitely being put in the wrong places.

And what's to stop a law suit from happening anyway. A climber decks and dies from a failed bolt... Where is the fault and the liability? I'm climbing a gear route and I fall, blowing what I "thought" was good rock (you told me I could climb on it, so it must be safe!)... I deck and die. Is it your fault because you bought the land and allow me to climb?

The climber's family sues the coalition and loses because the gear is determined to be abandoned. The climber's family sues the coalition and wins because the gear is determined to be endorsed by the coalition.

Steel is going to wear out also, only slower. So there will be an even larger "false" sense of security because of it... But don't worry Ian, all the "really" dangerous aluminum gear will be gone and you will not have had anything to do with the dumbing down of climbing in the RRG.
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Russ, how the hell do you explain the severely bad gear on climbs like Angry Birds and 40 oz? Glad your opinion appears to be in the minority.
tania

Post by tania »

I am beginning to feel a bit embarrassed to tell people that teh Red is my home crag.
"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go." ~Keith Urban