el potrero

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
Wes

Post by Wes »

I went about six or seven years ago, when Kurt and Elaina had the campground. Good times for sure! We flew into Monneray, and caught a cab to the campground pretty easy.

Key Beta:
Helmet is a must, even when, and maybe esp. belaying. Lots of loose rock. Be aware if there is a long route above you, as a couple (snot boyz?) head right over a couple of the single pitch lines.

Windbreaker.

Tri cams help with some of the runouts on some of the older routes.

70 meter rope is nice, as a couple of the single pitch lines are more then 30 meters.

It got cold at night, so down jackets and warm sleeping bags are a good idea. But, it usually warmed to t-shirt weather by mid morning.

You can buy beer on the way into and/or out of the park. And, be ready for third shift workers to be partying after work in the AM. We got to climb to local music a couple times.

There are really cool markets in town a couple days a week. Easy to buy plenty of food for pretty cheap. There is also a cool store, with photos of climbers from all over on the walls.

If you get a chance, the Mexican version of the wwf has matches in town sometimes. Highly recommended, esp. with a good buzz going.

The climbing is good, the grades maybe a little bit soft for some. There are some killer bolted cracks (dead man walking is a must do). Otherwise, pretty well bolted.

The people in town are all super friendly and welcoming of climbers.

I have heard it is a pain to try to drive in and out, so for a shorter trip, I would really try to fly in, bus a second choice.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

its not bad to drive down there. just make sure you have all the papers for your car. it takes about 21 hours from lexington. we stayed at the pasada for $5 a night. they have good bathrooms and showers and they have a kitchen with everything you need in it. dont worry about bring your own pots and shit like that. it did get cold almost every night, but it was great during the day. sometimes it was to hot and you just climbed in the shade. the climbing is alittle run out, but the harder parts of the climb always had a bolt at your waist. i thought it was pretty safe climbing. but a helmet is a must!

have fun...
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
merrick

Post by merrick »

10 minute flat approach to 10-15 pitch 5.10 sport climbs. cheap beer and food. camping was $4 at homeros which was always a ton of fun. massive international scene with climbers from everywhere. close to el salto which has spectacular harder tufa climbing.

it is like the club med for dirtbag climbers.

do it, it is worth it.

make sure to get a run up snot girlz and space boys. both of those were awesome. just wear a helmet, don´t climb under other people, and ¨climb without pullling.¨

and if you want to tick 12a this is the place to do it, but you might not feel to proud about it afterwords....
Back from the Dead!