el potrero

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
absolutsugarsmurf

el potrero

Post by absolutsugarsmurf »

Anyone been to el potrero chico in the winter / ever?

I'm thinking of heading there in early Jan and would appreciate any beta on travel, lodging, climbing, whatever you think I should know. Since knowing is half the battle.

Cheers.
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

I'm heading down w/ a friend somewhere around Jan 2-4. a bunch of people from Madison are going to be down there. we are thinking of taking a bus from Lex to Laredo and then another bus across the border. busing into Mexico is alot cheap than flying into Monterrey b/c of the airport tax. i don't know where we're staying yet, haven't dealt with that yet but theres a place to camp down there w/ a cooking shelter that some friends of mine stayed at in the past. some of the websites for potrero have good beta on camping and stuff
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
climbboy

Post by climbboy »

If you fly into the airport Luis will come pick you up for free.

Most of the accomodations, if you don't camp, are basically cinderblock buildings with no heat. They are perfectly comfortable: bed, bathroom. The camping was about 5 bucks a night. We chose to go plush style and get a room it was between 18 and twentyfive dollars a night (between two, it wasn't bad). It was pretty cold, so we were psyched to have room.

Still, I was glad to have brought both my down jacket and my down sleeping bag. We took a down jacket with us when we climbed spaceboyz for the belayer as we swung leads and we were happy to have it. Two days later we were climbing in T-shirts and avoiding the sun on the crags.

The shared kitchens are sort of like miguels except there are about 5 or 6 double propane stoves already there and they are indoors. I might bring my own eating utensils and my own sponge or other scrubby supplies. The sponge situation is kind of gross for cleaning.

This is where we stayed:

http://www.elpotrerochico.com.mx/

Perhaps not as hip and "on the scene" as Homero's and perhaps not the cheapest, but Luis runs a tight ship and is super friendly.

We had a blast there. If you get a chance and can figure out how to get there, there are some hot springs about an hour away that are sort of surreal (they are natural springs, but the facility is a pay facility and totally modern . . .absurdly so, but worth the trip) Great rest day adventure.

PM if you have other questions.
ashtray

Post by ashtray »

afsd
Last edited by ashtray on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jpexpress

Post by jpexpress »

a good time in el porterro is mid july cheap cheap rates
my interests wincing in pain, cutting my toenails as I wince in pain, watching others wince in pain as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
and handling hazardous waste materials as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

umm...isn't it really HOT in mid-july in el potrero?
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
Gaar

Post by Gaar »

Amy, and I, Possibly more are heading there in Jan
"climb, fall, send, go home"
audball

Post by audball »

if any of y'all are going to be there--let me know. i live in san antonio, which is about a 5 hour drive. there are going to be a lot of climbers there for new years.
"it feels good when you put it in" allah
jpexpress

Post by jpexpress »

july is toasty. you know i really like toast, french toast is really good
my interests wincing in pain, cutting my toenails as I wince in pain, watching others wince in pain as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
and handling hazardous waste materials as i cut my toenails and wince in pain
ThomClimber

Post by ThomClimber »

Try contacting Milton-
miltontarros@hotmail.com

We were there three years ago and he helped us out a lot (picked us up at the airport, translated etc.) We had rented a house *inside* the park for about $30 a night right at the end of the season.

Th