Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Dyno wall RF 2013

Poll ended at Sat May 18, 2013 2:13 pm

YES, $5,000 is totally worth it and YES I would pay to enter
13%
YES, $5,000 is totally worth it but NO I would not pay to enter
34%
NO, it's not worth it
53%

Total votes: 53

RRGCC

Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by RRGCC »

Last year the RRGCC's dyno wall was deemed unfit for use and was retired (we got 5 or 6 years out of it). Due to costs and time limits the RRGCC opted to forego building a new dyno wall in our 2012 RF event. This was met with mixed feelings from the community.

We have redesigned the dyno wall which will make it easier to setup, more durable and built with longevity of the system in mind, as well as remove the outriggers which were a danger for climbers. The climbable area will increase by about 50 square feet but it will generally look the same as it did in years past with a few more angels to make things a little more interesting.

This design does not come cheaply. With 1/4" steel custom made bracketing, a bolt together framing system. and the material required to balance the whole rig we are looking around $5,000 for the whole project (donations are, of course, welcome). This is a lot of YOUR money so we are bringing the debate to you, the community, to decide.

So is it worth the price to bring it back? And would you pay a little to enter the dyno comp to help offset the costs?
clif

Re: Dyno wall Rocktoberfest 2013?

Post by clif »

if it's built off the edge of Mill Creek Pond with springboards on top!!!
training is for people who care, i have a job.
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

Probably not worth it in my opinion but I could see where someone might justify the costs. All about having fun.
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

clif wrote:if it's built off the edge of Mill Creek Pond with springboards on top!!!
And hell yes!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Cromper wrote:Probably not worth it in my opinion but I could see where someone might justify the costs. All about having fun.
It seems like it would be difficult to calculate walls ROI, but if you can argue that its worth it then do it. But it sure could buy a lot of bolts, gravel, etc.
Living the dream
Willy

Post by Willy »

If its built to last then its an investment and well worth it IMO. Most of the people on this website aren't the lot of young out of town folks that I would guess will pay to enter. If we could see figures for how much money the dyno comp raised in previous years though this would be an easier decision to make.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Willy wrote:If its built to last then its an investment and well worth it IMO. Most of the people on this website aren't the lot of young out of town folks that I would guess will pay to enter. If we could see figures for how much money the dyno comp raised in previous years though this would be an easier decision to make.
The RRGCC has never charged for the Dyno wall in the past. If we build it and charge and no one pays, it's a loose loose. If we build it and people are willing to pay, it will pay for itself over x years and eventually earn income for the RRGCC - everyone wins. If we build it and don't charge, those people that enjoy the dyno comp may think it was worth it but other donors may think we wasted their money.

I know it's wishful thinking, but It sure would be great if someone would volunteer to contribute $5,000 :wink:
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Seems there were also a few rules problems , disqualifications or holds held but not counted, somebody got ripped off in the womens a couple years ago...(besides the totally yanked off launching hold that one year!!)....I'd say the whole concept needs a rework for the comp part of it, if a new wall is built.
krampus

Post by krampus »

Josephine wrote: The RRGCC has never charged for the Dyno wall in the past. If we build it and charge and no one pays, it's a loose loose. If we build it and people are willing to pay, it will pay for itself over x years and eventually earn income for the RRGCC - everyone wins. If we build it and don't charge, those people that enjoy the dyno comp may think it was worth it but other donors may think we wasted their money.
If we charge people to enter, they may not enter. How much would we have to charge for it to pay for itself over the expected lifetime of the wall? Now adjust for inflation....Well, I doubt we could charge enough for the wall to pay for itself, the investment is not one of direct return. However, we can't expect bram or those guys from bloomington to bring the crate stacking comp every year (we can hope of course), and while odub can draw a crowd, even he might appreciate having some backup entertainment. The value of the dyno comp comes from the entertainment it brings as a whole. Will the one time cost for the construction of the wall add enough entertainment value to keep people coming back? I have no data on the matter and this value would be hard to asses but the more we have available for people to do and watch, the more likely it is that they will come back. I think the expense for the wall would be worth it in the long run. It may not be the largest draw of people but the combination of Odub/crate stacking/dyno comp sounds way better than just having any one of the three. My qualitative guess would be that it would take at least two to tango. Of course, the 23 string band has its own appeal
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
Prog_Rocker

Post by Prog_Rocker »

At the New River Rendezvous the dyno comp is included in your registration. The only thing not included I think are their clinics.