IMPACT on Muir of KY HW 715 Rerouting

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Liz_Weber

IMPACT on Muir of KY HW 715 Rerouting

Post by Liz_Weber »

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is studying alternatives for rerouting and or improving KY HW 715. Eight possible alternatives have been identified as described under Public Involvement/Alternatives Handout tab of http://planning.kytc.ky.gov/projects/pr ... /ky715.asp

Of the alternatives identified, E and F cut right through the heart of Muir, most likely resulting in closure.

Rick and I were unable to attend the public meeting due to an out-of-state commitment, be we hired Dan Brayack, a civil engineer who is also a climber to represent us at the meeting.

The overwhelming majority of the attendees at the meeting (mostly local property owners) preferred either Alternative E or F, because those alternatives would have minimal effect on their property. This is understandable inasmuch as adjacent land makes up their homesteads or farms, many of which have been in their families for generations. In a case like this there is probably a natural tendency to overlook the secondary benefit to them of the tourist dollars resulting from 10,000+ visitors per year to Muir and the additional tax revenue.

What can you do to help Muir Valley if you are interested?

At this point, the easiest and most effective action would be a brief email to David Martin, Project Manager of the Study for rerouting and improving KY HW 715. His email is Charles.Martin@ky.gov. Just something saying that you are one of a large number of people who frequently visit Muir Valley Nature Preserve, bringing tourist dollars into the area, and expressing your hope that, if a project is funded, they will avoid either Alternative E or F of the 8 options under consideration, because either of those would almost surely result in the closure of Muir Valley to the public.

He can also be contacted in writing at
David Martin, P.E.
Project Manager
KYTC Division of Planning
200 Mero Street
Mail Code W5-05-01
Frankfort KY 40622

or called at 502 564-7183.

If you write instead of email, it would probably be a good idea to also copy "Director, KYTC Division of Planning" at the mailing address.

Funding is still a question, and that may save us. There was talk about possible availability of Homeland Security funds, which seems to be a stretch. Absent that, the span of the bridge that would be required to cross Muir for either Alternatives E or H would seem to be so cost prohibitive as to made those options unlikely.

There is another meeting on this project by the KTC on December 1 (or shortly thereafter), so input from all of you who wish to help before that time would have the highest impact.

Thank you for your support on this issue.

Liz Weber
Last edited by Liz_Weber on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redpointron

Post by redpointron »

thank you for this information liz. and thanks to dan for being y(our) advocate. i thought his pictures weren't that good anyway... :wink: ...at least you found something productive for him to do.

i will certainly be happy to do my share.

regards.

ron
FujManiac

Post by FujManiac »

I'm definitely pulling out my pen and paper. Thanks for the information Liz!
woodchuck008

Post by woodchuck008 »

Just saw this news. Will write to officials immediately. This is crazy, especially in a locale of such scenic worth. I'm for choice 'A' if anything at all. These folks don't know what heavy traffic is until they move up near Chicago. Senseless idea, that's for sure.
brewbob

Post by brewbob »

Just sent an e-mail to Mr Martin.
I have only recently discovered the area and hope to be able to bring my family to Muir in the future.
we will be down from Pittsburgh possibly next weekend and will be checking out Muir first hand. this is a great climbing area that we cannot afford to lose!
Write, e-mail, protest, do whatever you need to to protect what the land owners have graciously given us!!
BD
Toad

Post by Toad »

Don't you have any endangered or protected species on the property?
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

Toad wrote:Don't you have any endangered or protected species on the property?
They can still do an 'incidental take' and ignore them. It would have to be a substantial population or something really rare.

I'd be down to go scout out some rare plants, though! There may be enough reproducing chestnut trees to have state officials put in a word or two....

And, if there were any listed species found there, climbers would have to play the game, too...
ynot

Post by ynot »

That's just good enough to work. long eared bats, goldenrod, somethiing.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
toad857

Post by toad857 »

One thing on our side is that public input definitely can make a difference here--that's why they went so out of their way to make this info available to the public.

The community at the heart of this is a massive one, and if necessary a petition with thousands of signatures would be relatively easy.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

liz - weren't you going to take up gardening? I'd heard that you were planting a large patch of endangered goldenrod :wink:

seriously, though. i hope there will be a good compromise worked out that will benefit all in question. obviously a land-owner doesn't want to lose their land. period. doesn't matter how big the land is. how long it's been in their family. how much money they'd get for it. i can see how it would be very appealing for them to hope that road goes anywhere but through their land.

Is there a possibility of enlisting the access fund in this at all? I'm not really sure how they work and what the scope of their mission is - but i think it has something to do with protecting access. maybe they can help the powers that be come to a solution that will benefit climbers and local property owners.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun