Roadside for sale?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
bcombs

Re: Roadside for sale?

Post by bcombs »

KD, are you implying that those two problems (hippies and perma's) somehow describe a plan for reinstatement of access? It was clear what caused the closure, Grant stated as much in his original post, but nowhere have I seen a proposed plan for reopening. Is it closed indefinitely? Is there no opportunity to discuss how to regain access? Just a question. It would be nice to know that someone has had some sort of discussion with the owners on next steps.
KD

Post by KD »

i'm talking about this Roadside is for sale for a buncha money bs, bcombs not the whole closure thing. The current policy towards negotiating the reopening of closed crags was presented to me a few days ago. It is basically as follows: look at all the potential new (serect) crags that will open up in the future. We are doing a lot to get new areas open. Just look at all the areas that are open. Gosh, so much is open. Everybody should quit being negative and thank us for getting all these areas open. and as for closed crags - well just look at all these new areas.
Last edited by KD on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Lots of new cliff coming, lots.
KD

Post by KD »

and we should focus on the positive because there is a lot of potential for even more. :)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

sorry if I seemed to be starting a 'rumor'. In the past month I had heard from four seperate non related sources, this "rumor"....and since roadside was bought by climbers, and the rrgcc is about us as climbers, I was hoping to just get the facts instead of all the suppositions being thrown around.

my apologies if there is no basis in fact about the 200K sale. I do not want to be part of the problem if this was all a myth.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
KD

Post by KD »

I just dont know which is worse a perma drawn hippy in a hammock or rjackson around sheep.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

"Spicy" Jackson has a thing for sheep...
rjackson

Post by rjackson »

Mutton...
Pick myself up, stop lookin' back.
Grand Funk Railroad
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

BAaaaaaaaa ah ah ah ah ah ahhhhhh !!!!!!!
captain static

Post by captain static »

First, I have to say it is very disappointing to see the disparaging comments about Grant and John being posted here. It has already been stated that Grant helped the Webers in securing Muir Valley. Before that, Grant provided pro bono legal assistance to the RRGCC for the Murray Property (PMRP) purchase. From what I understand, the purchase of the “Roadside” property by these gentlemen presented a somewhat daunting legal situation that Grant was able to resolve after much effort. Also, prior to the closure, John had approached the RRGCC about holding a fundraiser and a preliminary date had even been set.

Second, whoever thinks climber impact at this crag is not an issue does not have the perspective of having seen the area when it was first developed as the owners do. It is very understandable that they were upset when they visited their own property only to find the area continuing to be degraded and, what for them, was unacceptable climber behavior.

There has been some questioning lately about the RRGCC’s strategy concerning closures and access. In another thread I stated, in part, that our strategy is to regularly communicate with the owners of the closed crags and that in those communications we leave all options open. Another part of this strategy is that we focus our efforts on securing access to the greatest number of quality climbs. That explains why we have not been expending much effort on the scattered closures on Forest Service land within the Red River Gorge and on the other hand why we put considerable effort into securing the Access Fund grant for the Graining Fork Restoration Project.

I want to make it perfectly clear that the AF grant is structured such that no monies are to be released until some agreement is reached with the owners for reopening the GNFP to climbing. The RRGCC and the GNFP owners have held some preliminary discussions about this and, in keeping with our strategy, purchase of the property is one of the options put on the table. That does not mean the property is “For Sale”. Conduct an internet search and you will not find a listing for this land.

Anyone can go to the Wolfe County Courthouse, as the RRGCC did, and research the transfer information for this property. That is due diligence. However, the past purchase price does not necessarily reflect the actual value of the land. Otherwise the RRGCC has to decline to comment on rumored offers or amounts, etc. posted here because it would not be prudent. In any contemplated acquisition of land by the RRGCC, discussing particulars in an open internet forum has the real potential of complicating or even putting in jeopardy negotiations.

Bill Strachan, Executive Director
Red River Gorge Climbers’ Coalition
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh