Poverty and Rock Climbing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Nick

Re: Poverty and Rock Climbing

Post by Nick »

375k doesn't sound like such a bad price to not have meth dealers as neighbors and not have a drive to work that is literally longer than the drive from Lexington TO the red. And no the article is not FAKE NEWs, it is simply just someone's opinion piece even if I don't agree with a lot of what they are saying.

Speaking of stereotyping, I jumped a guy's dead battery in the rest stop parking lot last Fall who was wearing overalls, no shirt, and no shoes. I don't blame any locals who hate climbers. I pretty much can't stand most other climbers with their fucking hammocks, stupid dogs, and avocado lunches. I'd smash the shit out of every last mazda protege window!
nik

Post by nik »

i feel you with the hammocks (and dogs, to a degree), but what did avocados ever do to you? haha
SpikySkaKid

Post by SpikySkaKid »

This conversation is fairly interesting and entertaining. One thing we have to remember is the human brain is designed to use stereotypes. We categorize things so we can process them and understand our world. But they only work to a degree and once we start talking about individuals, all bets are off. And speaking of stereotypes, I remember specifically disliking rock climbers in college because I was a semi-angry punk rock kid and I saw all rock climbers as dirty hippies who played ultimate Frisbee, listened to PHISH and ate granola. The funny thing in my late twenties I went climbing and have been forever hooked. 6 years later and now I'm the dirty hippy who makes granola bars and drives from Michigan to the Red at least once a month to climb in the best place on Earth, though you will never catch me listening to PHISH.

Oh and the comment about avocado lunches made me laugh so much.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Nick wrote:375k doesn't sound like such a bad price to not have meth dealers as neighbors and not have a drive to work that is literally longer than the drive from Lexington TO the red.
My other neighbors are all dear family. And in fact, the meth dealers are family though not so dear. I've started referring to my cousin's boyfriend as "Skinny Pete" cause that's as close to Breaking Bad as he's ever going to get.

In regards to the drive: mine is literally shorter than the drive from Lexington to the Red as I live on the Lexington side of the Red. The worst part of this arrangement for me is the drive itself and that I actually have to work in Lexington. And since we're speaking in stereotypes: Lexington is full of pretentious horse fuckers and UK basketball mind slaves who can't drive for shit. I'll save my money and live in my crappy house fifteen minutes from Slade.

But that's just how I try to organize and understand my world.

Please understand that is all said for comedic effect. I have lots of friends in Lexington and my wife would love nothing more than to move out of the holler and live in a suburb. I'd rather free solo Nevermore in the rain.
There is no TEAM in I
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

"Lexington is full of pretentious horse fuckers and UK basketball mind slaves who can't drive for shit."

Are the people pretentious or were you referring to pretentious horses? If the latter, then what about all of the unassuming horses? Are they lonely? Just seeking clarification. Thanks in advance.

The comment about basketball is accurate, but I consider it a feature, not a bug. Is it a bad thing that so much of my emotional well-being is controlled by 18 year olds on a basketball court?
clif

Post by clif »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZMPT0ulC8

spikyskakid and the rest of you, just wanted to offer this bit of historical perspective. best wishes.
training is for people who care, i have a job.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

ScottB wrote:
Are the people pretentious or were you referring to pretentious horses? If the latter, then what about all of the unassuming horses? Are they lonely? Just seeking clarification. Thanks in advance.
Rich people's pet horses dictate too much of what goes on in and around Lexington and everyone just fawns over them. Folk in the bluegrass region like being penetrated by the large animals on a regular basis and seem to enjoy it regardless of how it negatively affects politics and development in the region. But that's just my humble opinion.

This is my attempt to establish a comparative stereotype that Eastern Kentuckians can fling back at the rest of the state when they perpetuate the negative stereotypes for EKY. Bluegrass region residents participate in cultural bestiality.
There is no TEAM in I
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Not even a chuckle?
There is no TEAM in I
captain static

Post by captain static »

Now this is the redriverclimbing.com that I love and miss. Thanks for the historical Dead tune link Clif.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

captain static wrote:Now this is the redriverclimbing.com that I love and miss. Thanks for the historical Dead tune link Clif.
Make RRC Great Again.
There is no TEAM in I