FS Road 9B status

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
chandler

Re: FS Road 9B status

Post by chandler »

Hiked out to Purple Valley one weekend around Thanksgiving. Saw a couple hunters at the new-and-improved Muscle Beach campground, plus a few locals just past the 9A-9B split. Didn’t see anyone else. Granted, it was freezing that day, but doubt you’ll need to work too hard to hide your ride.

Looks like some sort of public/camp area might be planned just past the new gate. There was as gravel trail (too narrow for cars) and a few extra acres cleared of trees that did not appear to be directly related to the stream restoration.

You’ll have to get across the creek, which was no problem during my hike. Not sure how it will be immediately after a torrential storm.
Attachments
photo 3-a.jpg
photo 2-a.jpg
photo 1-a.jpg
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I have an old child trailer I fold flat and put packs on, or I ride my cargo bike and stow my backpack in the cargo bags. Or you could go alpine and one climber ride with rope mountaineer coiled and one ride with rack. That's what Chuck Norris would do if he weren't soloing that day.

Somewhere on 9b:
Attachments
Photo Feb 08, 2 04 50 PM.jpg
There is no TEAM in I
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

Wow, thats commitment
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

It's a fun ride/adventure. Not enough of those around.
There is no TEAM in I
grigri

Post by grigri »

So road status? Is it open now?
BostonHammock

Post by BostonHammock »

Friends of mine went down there a few weeks ago and said it was open. I think it just opened up after Memorial Day.
Last edited by BostonHammock on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Here is a link to the Forest Service press release from last month announcing the reopening of Forest Road 9B - http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/news ... EPRD501103
Last edited by captain static on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

"To maintain water quality and reduce sediment into the stream, a gate has been installed nearly one mile from the previous end of Forest Service Road 9B to prevent stream crossing with motorized vehicles. This section of road will remain open for administrative use and public foot travel only."
So I assume this means you cant drive back to purple valley like before?
captain static

Post by captain static »

That is correct Mark. I haven't been back there yet to check it out but I did look on google earth and it looks like they did create a decent pull-out for parking just before the gate.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

Makes purple valley a good place to go when the gorge is crowded