Breaks Interstate Park

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
dustonian

Breaks Interstate Park

Post by dustonian »

Good to hear someone in the government-land-manager department has their head outta their ass...
http://weku.fm/post/breaks-interstate-p ... s-kentucky
milspecmark

Re: Breaks Interstate Park

Post by milspecmark »

Thats great news. Hopefully there will be some good rock climbing down there
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

kurktj

Post by kurktj »

kkscm did a lot of work to get the ball rolling and help make this happen in cooperation with the Access Fund and WV (?, I think) Climbers Coalition (contacted land manager, presented to park "master plan" committee, probably some other stuff).
She has a bunch of photos and videos of some of the cliffs out there. I'll see if I can get her to post them, the rock looks pretty great.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Awesome! Kylie rules.
kkschm

Post by kkschm »

Thanks Dustin :) but this has all become a possibility because of the Breaks' awesome leadership (Austin Bradley).
Just a quick comment on the future possibility of climbing at the Breaks:
Breaks remains closed to climbing, but we're optimistic. Myself, Southwest VA Climbers Coalition, and Access Fund have been working with the park throughout their master planning process. That plan will include the possibility for climbing once official this March. We continue to work with the park to address climbing management plans and concerns. You can contact Zachary Lesch-Huie with Access Fund if you have questions. I will provide status updates as things progress and pictures/videos at a later date.
doogievlg

Post by doogievlg »

This is a going to be a great area in a place that is in bad need of the little extra money from climbers. I can't wait to see this get the green light.
I love jugs
clif

Post by clif »

funny; could be just because i'd sat in the car for about 5 hours at the point where i drove past the turn off to the Breaks and still had 3 hours to go until the Red, but year after year the impusle got stronger to take the time and go check it out. there is a pull to the geography here but also maybe some doubt about the willingness to chop down mountains that pushes (-d?) people away?

i guess i'm a little wary of 'improvements'....
Screen shot 2015-01-22 at 9.51.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2015-01-22 at 9.51.01 PM.png (158.12 KiB) Viewed 6906 times
the ziggurat at center is what is left of the forested mountain that, well, lacked a road on it?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
LK Day

Post by LK Day »

My great great uncle, Kelly J. Day of Kentucky and Colonel Lee Long of Virginia were the leaders in the effort to establish Breaks Interstate Park, way back when. I drove all the way from Montana a few years ago just to get a look at the place. It would be cool to see climbing accepted there.
hamsco

Post by hamsco »

I went there in the late 90s and down along the loop trail were bolted sport lines. And when i climbed a crack it had bolted anchors.
No creeds, manuals, or special translations