Does plumb make the line?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
climb2core

Does plumb make the line?

Post by climb2core »

You guys think lines that follow a direct plumb line are better? Should routes not be bolted if they can't follow a straight and vertical line?
Andrew

Re: Does plumb make the line?

Post by Andrew »

I was thinking about commenting on this topic in the online guide but this seems to be a better forum. In my worthless opinion, the answer to this question is unique to the RRG. In many other destinations plumb lines are hard to come by, but at the red nearly all the routes are plumb. Because of this I often enjoy non-plumb lines more because of their unique experience. This may also have to do with the fact that much of the RRG's plumb lines require boring right left right left jug hauling, so routes that wander often have better movement. I hope this makes sense.

So the answer is... bolt all rock.
Living the dream
der uber

Post by der uber »

This is a no brainer. The worst part about a meandering line is probably the rope drag. Even with that, you can make up for it with good bolt placement, long draws, directionals.

just to name a few great routes that aren't straight up.

Paradise Lost
Rebar
Black gold
Jesus Wept

And I have never thought or heard anyone say "yes this route is really good, because it follows a plumb line"

That ne line at beer trailer, Darkness Falls (I think) is supposed to be pretty cool, and if I remember correctly that angles right most of the way up.

To pig back on Andrew, if it's a good line, bolt it.
allah

Post by allah »

Its all about the line of least resistance! Thats what a plumb line means to me. wandering or not
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

here is a picture of what many regard as the "best rock climb in the world"...
123515_9393_L.jpg
123515_9393_L.jpg (74.44 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

der uber wrote:This is a no brainer. The worst part about a meandering line is probably the rope drag. Even with that, you can make up for it with good bolt placement, long draws, directionals.

just to name a few great routes that aren't straight up.

Paradise Lost
Rebar
Black gold
Jesus Wept

And I have never thought or heard anyone say "yes this route is really good, because it follows a plumb line"

That ne line at beer trailer, Darkness Falls (I think) is supposed to be pretty cool, and if I remember correctly that angles right most of the way up.

To pig back on Andrew, if it's a good line, bolt it.
Darkness Falls for sure... excellent route! Don't forget about Table of Colors, American Dream, Tuskan Raider, Beer Belly, and Taste the Rainbow...
returntosender

Post by returntosender »

dustonian wrote: Darkness Falls for sure... excellent route! Don't forget about Table of Colors, American Dream, Tuskan Raider, Beer Belly, and Taste the Rainbow...
And the noob classic The Offering.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

returntosender wrote: And the noob classic The Offering.
Haha nice one. Also Belly of the Beast... essentially a harder version of the Icebreaker roof start.
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

I think the creator of this thread is stirring up a big ol pot of shit. Grid bolt the world!!
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Your mom is stirrin' up a big ol pot of shit. What time is dinner?