The Road to Sore Heel

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
toad857

Re: The Road to Sore Heel

Post by toad857 »

Saxman wrote:I don't think dumping gravel in the deep holes would be against the law. Of course, first big rain will wash it all out.

just filling the bigger holes with logs and branches from the side of the road would help prevent a lot of damage done by cars zipping through there. anyone down there with twenty minutes and a hatchet could do this.

...if every car would fill one rut, the road would be drivable by any car and with less impact.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Please don't put any logs or branches in the potholes. They would have to be removed before any gravel could be put down thus making even more work.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

As much as I would like to agree with you all that people suck at driving... it's not a sucking at driving issue, the last time I was down there my (stock height car, but low sitting by industry standard) started to bottom out a 100 yards past the parking lot and It was only getting worse. People are not getting stuck due to their inability to drive through the mud, they're getting stuck because some of the potholes are so deep their car can't clear them. I don't mind parking at the first parking lot and walking down the new trail, but it would definitely be nice if the road back to Sore Heel parking was more passable. I'm definitely willing to help make this happen, but I understand their are more issues than just getting a group together to go down and fill in potholes.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Agreed, the road sucks. However, you are still a shitty driver. I take an Accord through on a regular basis without so much as a scratch. Still, something has to be done before the spring rains.
toad857

Post by toad857 »

captain static wrote:Please don't put any logs or branches in the potholes. They would have to be removed before any gravel could be put down thus making even more work.
at least it would stop the ruts from getting deeper.

and let me ask you this: do you think those holes going to be filled before the big rush of visitors for october? oops, too late! add another 6 inches of gravel for each rut. :(
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

Agreed, the road sucks. However, you are still a shitty driver. I take an Accord through on a regular basis without so much as a scratch. Still, something has to be done before the spring rains.
Think before you insult people you don't know.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

DrRockso wrote:Think before you insult people you don't know.
That would take out about 97% of the comments on this board... But I agree, Dustonian was bit of a dick. I have taken my car back there (Acura) and will occasionally scrape the bottom and I AM a VERY GOOD DRIVER, A VERY GOOD DRIVER. The road sucks for low clearance road cars, period.
Last edited by climb2core on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendit

Post by sendit »

I keep getting stuck too, help a brother out!

all you haters die slow.
c-foot

Post by c-foot »

I drive this. Never get stuck. Also no windows to get smashed by the meth-head couple carrying the mattock.
Copy of 1komppustynia.jpg
Copy of 1komppustynia.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

I wish I knew more about road engineering, but from the conversations I've had with the Land Manager and his dealings with the county, this is really not a simple fix. We can't just dump gravel on it. We can't just dump pavement on it. This is an engineering problem resulting from the fact that the road is now below the level of the creek. We could probably build a bridge to span that section, but that's way more than simply raising another $20,000 or $30,000.

At this point, what we can (and are!) doing is working with the county to come up with a solution.

If you are a engineer that has experience with redesigning roadways, please PM me or email at josephine dot neff at gmail - Maybe there's someone lurking on here with the qualifications to help with this problem.

In the meantime, the shortcut trail has been greatly improved. You can park at the lode (or top of the hill) and walk the road. When you come to a wooden bridge on your right, cross the creek and follow the beautiful, flat trail to the sore heel parking lot.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun