tilting treadwall beyond 30%

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
heavyc

tilting treadwall beyond 30%

Post by heavyc »

Has anyone out there with a Brewer's Ledge treadwall tried modifying it to make it tilt past 30% but still leave it adjustable? I am considering this but am a little worried about whether it will still run well at say 40%. I am sure it will require some significant new bracing on the front to keep it from falling over but I am hesitant to do the work needed without the confidence that it will be worth it. I currently have it adjustable from vertical to 30% overhung by propping the back end up about 2 feet.
Saxman

Re: tilting treadwall beyond 30%

Post by Saxman »

Brewer's Ledge says the front legs can be vertical but lighter weight people will not have sufficient mass to move the wall. I would still anchor the back down in some fashion just to be safe.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

HeavyC,

Great question, and one I've been wrestling with. My Treadwall (by cutting down the front legs and jacking up the back legs) has adjustment from 0deg to 28.5deg. The front legs of my A-frame are not quite vertical, to reduce any potential for of topling. I have several thoughts on moving past 30deg.

One of the main issues Bcombs ran into when he moved beyond 30deg was the reduction in lateral stability after he removed of the X-bracing. You do need to maintain the lateral stiffness of the framing, this can be done by internal or external bracing.

Even at 28.5 deg, I am a little concerned about the cable crimps failing and have fitted a dynamic safety tether, just in case.

Based on Bcombs experience running past 30 degree isn't a problem, as long as the chains remain square and in sequence. If they are not square they will get out of sequence. If they are out of sequence as little as 1/2" the wall will stop. If this happens, you have to use the "bolt" trick from the Brewer's Ledge site and re-square your framing.

I do recommend using white lithium grease to lube the panel channels.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some sketches.

PLJ
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

Inspired by HeavyC's question, I decided to modify my Treadwall over the New Year.

I moved the pivot point 3/4 of the way down the "panel" and mounted the new pivot shaft/bearing to the front leg of the A-frame. My wall is now adjustable though 40degrees. (45degrees is possible, if you move lower the pivot and mount the bearing to the front surface of the front leg). I created a detailed instruction sheet w/parts list. The file is too big to post here, but I will be happy to forward a copy if you PM me.

The above mod. does requires care and knowledge of where the centre of gravity is throught the range of motion. There is an increased risk of toppling when the wall isn't in at the steeper angles.

HeavyC has ordered the material and I'm sure he'll post when he completes his mod.

Regards, PLJ
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

HeavyC, how's the mod going?
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

could you post a picture? thanks
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

follow up- mine is at 28 deg and having greased the front channels it is still difficult for anyone lighter to pull down the wall. Smaller holds and a weight vest seem to make up for increasing the angle.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

Hugh, pm me your e-mail address and I'll send you a step by step set of pictures. The picture file is too big to post...

I lubed the channel (he-he) with white lithium and it works great at 40 deg.

PLJ
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Hi Cromlech.

Interested in the designs to change the angle if you still have them, any chance you could email them to me?
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

Tonyw, if you PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the plans, plj