Gunks beta

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
roots

Gunks beta

Post by roots »

Anyone have any suggestions for camping around the gunks? I have searched the intranets and have seen some possibilities, but no definite answers. All help or personal experience is much appreciated, mahalos!
JAY~BO
4:20
GWG

Post by GWG »

I'll post some details tomorrow morning. When you heading there? We get there about twice a month.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

when i went we slept in our car in a walmart parking lot. about every 3-4 days we got a hotel on priceline for our rest day for $45/night. the "primitve" campground looked awful and it was almost $40/night for the KOA!! Camping there stinks. but the climbing was wonderful! :-D
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

The camping is free and not that bad up at Camp Slime (near the Steel Bridge between the Trapps and Nears, but it gets extremely crowded on weekends). The other spots are fairly undesirable but they are free and not terrible. There is great camping in the Catskills about 20-30 minutes away, but it is hard to find. There is a hostel in New Paltz for $20 or so per night that is pretty nice.

Have fun! The logistics are kind of a pain in the ass there (beware of climbing rangers demanding $15/day to climb!) but the routes are one-of-a-kind and awesome!

D

PS--What Walmart are you talking about Josephine? There is no Walmart within 20 miles of New Paltz.
roots

Post by roots »

The wife and I are headed there in early June and will most likely be in New Paltz midweek. I shiver thinking about lines for multi-pitch trad routes. KOA is totally out of the F***ING question! Tried staying there late one night in Acadia, Maine and they wanted 56.00 for a primitive campsite!
JAY~BO
4:20
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

The multi-pitch trad in North Carolina, the Adirondacks, and New Hampshire is better than the Gunks and the camping scene is way more chill in these areas too.
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

I've stayed at camp slime. It sucks, but it is convenient. There are very few flat spots to drop a tent, so definitely avoid on the weekend...
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

i think it was the one in Newburgh - yeah it was a bit of a drive but it was free. i don't like tent camping and avoid it whenever possible. i prefer to sleep in my car :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Whoa, the Newburgh Walmart--gnarly!! You must really hate camping ;)

You can usually get a good free car-camping spot in the primitive campground along 299 before you get to the Mountain Brauhaus or the deli. They are on the left and right side. Again--crowded on weekends, but good midweek. I had a house the last couple years I lived in the Gunks, so maybe I forgot how bad it gets there though...
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

im going there monday!!! cant wait!
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.