Trad backpack - Gregory Baltoro 70

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
ecp88

Trad backpack - Gregory Baltoro 70

Post by ecp88 »

Does anyone here have a Gregory Baltoro 70 pack? If so - could you give your thoughts on this pack for carrying all the sh&t that a trad climber carries to go climbing? I currently have an old alpine pro ascent pack that has crappy hip support and absolutely no padding on the straps. I'm looking for something in the 3500 to 4500in3 range.
Pcgoss

Post by Pcgoss »

I own a Gregory Baltoro 70! its a great pack very comfortable and plenty of room for a day at the crag! the hip belt is awesome because it pivots to help keep the load centered on your back! Out of all the packs I have used through out the years this one has got to be my favorite. I wouldn't recommend to use it as a haul bag up a long wall, just for the hike in...
"Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up." — Attributed to Alan Shepard, the first American astronaut (makes a good rappelling prayer)
cliftongifford

Post by cliftongifford »

I don't own this specific pack, but I bought my wife a gregory acadia a few years ago for backpacking and it is awesome. I would definitely recommend gregory after using my wifes on several occasions. They're just burly, bulletproof, comfortable packs.
rohr

Post by rohr »

I've got that pack. I've had it for a few years and I've used it as a crag pack and on quite a few backpacking trips. It's very comfortable and it's got plenty of room for a rope, rack, et cetera. The only problem I've had is a couple broken zippers. Gregory repaired them under warranty, so it wasn't too big of a deal. Just a pain to have to ship it off for repairs. Despite the zipper problems I've had, I'd recommend the pack because it's so comfortable.
Snowpuppy

Post by Snowpuppy »

The only Gregory pack worth owning is a Denali Pro (which is too large for what you need), the rest of them are POS!! They shread, rip, tear, and break easily and are too heavy for what a pack needs to be. I recommend going to Osprey or Arcteryx.
"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear, such people become crazy-they become legends." ---Legends of the Fall
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Go with a Bora 80. Their suspension makes heavy loads quite comfortable.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
_Rasputin

Post by _Rasputin »

I have 2 Ospreys and have mixed reviews. My first Osprey didn't make the maiden voyage from my trunk to my back. Picked it up by the shoulder strap and POP, the stitching separated from pack, brand new pack. I looked like a total dork wearing my entire rack, helmet and harness in the parking lot then even more so on the long hike.

For my troubles Osprey gave me the privelege of paying the shipping to them then returned it re-stiched along with a T-shirt that would have fit King Kong for my troubles, geeee thaaaanks.

On the positive they are the most comfortable backpacks I have ever used.

2nd Osprey pack zipper broke in the 1st week, It was cheaper to take it to Windmers to have fixed than pay the shipping, but I did looe out on the gigantic T-shirt.
My baloney has a first name.
ecp88

Post by ecp88 »

Thanks for the comments - I have also been looking at the Bora. Arcteryx has some amazing stuff, but we are in a recession.
hypro

Post by hypro »

I just got a kelty red cloud 65; all the trad gear, water, rope, food, extra crap fits; has great padding in the belt and back support very good/comfortable. and has a daisy along the back. the same pack comes in a 55 size.
brewbob

Post by brewbob »

I am using a Osprey Atmos 65 (Large) with 4200 cu in
very comfortable with all of my gear loaded and still have room for the water bag between the mesh and my back. so far i like it.
May go bigger next time
BD