RRG must-do hikes?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
pru

RRG must-do hikes?

Post by pru »

an old friend is spending next week with me at the gorge, and we're going to do some hiking. It's been years since I've taken the time to do anything but climb there. What do you consider the essential/prettiest hikes?
climbing is dumb

~ Sandy
Wes

Post by Wes »

Auxier ridge loop
Indian stairway to cloud splitter
rock bridge/swift camp creek
wall of denial
hoods branch to natural bridge, back via rock garden trail
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Don McGlone

Post by Don McGlone »

All of RRO's projects.
Shedding off one more layer of skin
Keeping one step ahead of the persecutor within
pru

Post by pru »

heh
climbing is dumb

~ Sandy
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Auxier Ridge Loop - Auxier Ridge to Auxier Branch to Tunnel Ridge Road back to start.
There is no TEAM in I
powen01

Post by powen01 »

Wes wrote:Auxier ridge loop
Indian stairway to cloud splitter
rock bridge/swift camp creek
wall of denial
hoods branch to natural bridge, back via rock garden trail
"indian stairway to cloud splitter"

Wes, can you tell me more about where that trail begins or where I can find more info about it?
dmw

Post by dmw »

pru - definitely what Wes suggested. The indian stairway to cloud splitter almost got me lost (but I am navigationally challenged) but is way cool if you can get there..... have fun! also that Hinterlands book has some sweet lesser-known hikes in the Red. I think they still have it at True North.....
caribe

Post by caribe »

Raven Rock!! Bring lots of water.
captain static

Post by captain static »

To get to Indian Staircase from the Gladie Visitor Center take the Bison Way Trail to the Sheltowee Trace. Turn left (west) on the Sheltowee Trace. In a little under 1/4 of a mile you will cross a small stream. After crossing the stream start looking for a trail to the right (north) that goes up along a sharp ridge. This trail is unofficial and is not marked but leads to the base of Indian Staircase. If you want to continue on the suggested loop follow the trail from the top of the staircase west along the rim of the Sargent Branch canyon. The trail braids some but as long as you are following the top of the cliffline you are good. Shortly you should see a small trail to the left that leads down into the large rock shelter. If your friend is not afraid of heights, continue through the rockshelter to the other end where you will pick up a trail that goes along a ledge in the cliff to another rock shelter with a spectacular view and echo. Go through this rock shelter and pick up the trail again that leads you to the top of the ridge. Turn left (south) on the trail that runs along the ridge and follow that until it meets up with the Sheltowee Trace. From there you can either turn left (northeast) on the Sheltowee Trace to see the arch and go back to the Bison Way trail to complete the loop or you can continue on the unofficial trail along the ridge and then find your way back down to the right where the ridge ends. If your friend is afraid of heights you can skirt around along the top of the big rockshelter to the north to find the ridgetop trail.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

Do the Grays Arch Loop, short sweet (3.5 miles I think) but beautiful. The Trail Head is on Tunnel Ridge Road. (Or you can start from the parking lot for Military and Left Flank).
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder