Newbie Question: Howto

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
RogueIT

Newbie Question: Howto

Post by RogueIT »

I was wondering if someone could tell me if it is possible for 3 or more people to climb a trad pitch?
It seems to me that the first climber places the clips and the last climber cleans but how does the middle person/people climb the rope safely.
Are you attached by quickdraws?
If so do you use multiple quickdraws so you are never unattached?
thanks,
Rogue
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

use a butterfly knot or an 8 in the middle of the rope. the middle climber unclips and re clips the pieces around the knot as they come to them.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
kdelap

Post by kdelap »

There are many possible ways to do this. All of which take extensive technical knowledge. I would probably get some formal training. But...

Depending on how many ropes you want to use, you could caterpillar (if the pitch is hard); or belay 2 seconds at the same time while the last back-clips a third rope; or you can climb in the middle of the ropes if the pitch is short enough. If there is no traverse then you could just trail the other lines.
I think that you will find the most complicated part of this will be at the belay stances. Rope management and climber positioning are super important. If the people who are following are less experienced then there are many things that could go wrong.
If you have any further questions about this feel free to PM me.
http://www.foxmountainguides.com
KD

Post by KD »

the seconds have to be sure to unclip/reclip the pro correctly or they hose their follower. It's eay to fuck this up. kdlap is right about formal instruction.
p0bray01

Post by p0bray01 »

I assume you are meaning multi pitch? If so def do it with just you and a partner you trust first....3 people can become a clusterfuck real fast. Def. get some instruction....its worth the money! If its just single pitch...and the anchors are in a decent position....one leads sets an anchor or uses established anchor....clips in and is lowererd...the other two TR......
"The Mountains are my church and climbing is how I worship" - Tommy Caldwell
Day

Post by Day »

The first climber leads. The second climber follows and unclips the pro from the rope he's following on and clips in the rope he trails. The third cleans. If this is not clear, take a class. Better yet, take a class anyway.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

no offense but if you need to get online and ask these questions then you probably shouldn't try these things without an experience climber. Hire a guide, please.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
RogueIT

Post by RogueIT »

I am sorry if I gave anyone the impression that I was going out to attempt any of this based on knowledge that I gained on this posting. I am not that stupid, and anyone who feels that reading A THREAD qualifies them to do whatever they were asking advice about, probably deserves whatever happens to them and may they be first in line at the Darwin awards.

Believe me people I am not going to go on a multi-pitch trad climb armed with only the information found in this thread...I mean the name of the thread is "Newbie Question".
I might ask how to split the atom but that doesn't mean that I am going to go out and do it...

Concern is one thing but you do not have to beg me to keep me from doing something stupid.

Now that being said…How do you properly execute a victory whip?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
michaelarmand

Post by michaelarmand »

The smoothest in my opinion is with half ropes - the leader can simul belay the two people seconding as they clean gear from each rope. They do need to be staggered and should climb at the same pace...but it can be a cluster...
I've been a gumby longer than you've been climbing.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Check out a bunch of rock climbing books from the library. That will help get you started with a knowledge base. Then hire a guide or go out with experienced climbers.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.