Fixing Bolts with concrete

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Frischbier

Fixing Bolts with concrete

Post by Frischbier »

Sorry for my poor english. I read yor discussion about re-bolting routes with glue-in bolts... and one problem is the cost of the cemical motar. We in Germany use normal concrete (or rapid concrete) to "glue" bolts in. It is a very cheap method. First bolts were placed in the 60´ and still today there are no problems. There are some restrictions: it´s not that easy you need craftmanship, you can´t place bolts in roofs and it need more time.
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

Doesn't standard concrete have fairly poor mechanical properties? Judging by the roads I drive on, it can't stand up to the freeze/thaw cycles very long.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
JB

Post by JB »

note to self:

NEVER clip a bolt in Germany...

second note to self:

When were you planning on getting to go to Germany anyway? Loser!
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]
kirker

Post by kirker »

Hum.. Sandstone, 4 seasons at the Red, a little hydrolic cement, 8)
You lead I'll Top rope off the tree...
Toad

Post by Toad »

That's a great idea. Can somebody run some tests?
Victory Whip in da House. Yeah.
weber

Post by weber »

I'll try a few pull tests with hydraulic cement and Fixe glue-in bolts.
kirker

Post by kirker »

weber wrote:I'll try a few pull tests with hydraulic cement and Fixe glue-in bolts.
I don't think it would fail the initial tests, but come back every month give it a small amount of use, and I bet within a year assuming its subject to the weather the bolt with hydaulic concrete attached will pull from the sandstone.
captain static

Post by captain static »

The use of hydraulic cement instead of glue does have potential merits and is something I have thought about. I would suggest using concrete bonding compound both in the mixing of the cement and to be applied to the bolt hole itself. I have considerable experience in foundation repair and have used various concrete mixtures & bonding compound to repair structural cracks. It is important to thoroughly clean the surface that you are applying the concrete to. I usually make sure the surface is first wet, then brush bonding compound directly on the surface to be repaired before trowelling on the concrete.

For a bolt hole I would suggest cleaning it out with water from a squirt bottle, then applying a mixture of water/bonding compound from a spray bottle before putting the hydraulic cement in the hole. Getting the cement in the bolt hole would be the tricky part.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
ynot

Post by ynot »

They use the bonding stuff before putting up fake stone on house fronts. Its good stuff. I was bouldering on someones mansion this morning. The crimps were perfect and none of that stuff came loose. Doesnt make sense to use a bonding agent then cement when you could just use epoxy. Can't be that much difference in price and trouble.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
soccerfast007

Post by soccerfast007 »

JB wrote:note to self:

NEVER clip a bolt in Germany...

second note to self:

When were you planning on getting to go to Germany anyway? Loser!
never doubt german efficiency, precision and quality, sie germans are technically quite proficient (i.e. wunderkinder). besides, you may just fall in love with a german, join an oompah band, and trade in your business wear for lederhosen and live in the alps one day...i know i've given the prospect heavy consideration.
i wonder what kind of rock do they have that may be better suited for the concrete system?
"well Sco doesn't have my peripheral vision" - mason allen reminding us all that our peripheral vision often overlooks creepy crawlers and flying things.