Crazyfingers

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
J-Rock

Crazyfingers

Post by J-Rock »

Yesterday we witnessed a French girl take a fall from the 4th bolt of "Crazyfingers". She must have pushed off a little bit when she fell and she struck the top of the sawed off tree with great force. We were certain that she was badly injured or had some broken bones, but she came down, shook it off and continued up the route.

I've also heard of another guy falling from there and ripping his back open on the tree. I was just wondering what the thoughts were about removing such trees. I realize that it is a privately owned cliff now so ultimately it is the landowners decision, but I was curious how the climbing community felt about the removal of such obstacles. Should the trees be considered sacred or she they be treated like loose blocks and other potential hazards? Any thoughts?
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Leave it.
You've got to be smarter than the tree.
It is a possible part of the risk associated with the route and should be considered when deciding wether or not you are going to climb it.
Can't make the world safe for everyone.

Although on a side note, I backed into a tree and tore up the hatch on my car Sat. morning.
I briefly thought about cutting down the tree, but quickly realized it hapened because of my own stupidity.
It was doing what it was supposed to do...being a tree.
I was not doing what I should have been...
Wes

Post by Wes »

I would think long and hard about cutting a really big, old tree. But for just your ave. tree, then cutting it down is pretty small impact. Trees and rhodos are not threatened or endagered in any way.

As for the tree under crazy fingers, it probably should go. Then use the trunk for hardening the base or erosion control.
Last edited by Wes on Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Christian

Post by Christian »

Put some closed cell foam on top of the tree and be really careful.
Leave ze tree.
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Dont'cha think that tree may be the only reason there is still a place to stand at the base of the 10 wall?
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

It would have been safer if they had simply cut off the offending limbs which were in the way of the route. Since the tree is now a human skewer, removing it altogether is probably the safest thing to do.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Jeff wrote:Dont'cha think that tree may be the only reason there is still a place to stand at the base of the 10 wall?
No. But, notice what I said about then using the tree for harding the staging area.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

Cool, thanks for the replies y'all. I was just curious about the consensus opinion. Maybe I should have posted this as a poll instead.
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder
chriss

Post by chriss »

Seeing how someone already cut off the top half of the tree, it should be removed. I agree with what saxman said.
Ultra

Post by Ultra »

Doubtful that any one will remove the tree. Even though it poses an actual threat. "Climbers" are so entrenched in their way of thinking that they won't do anything about an actual problem. That has an impact on their lives in a very real way.But, If you ask them anything about politics or the big corporations or evil big brother they will give you an earful. They'll write their congressman. March in protest of (insert cause here)..blah. blah blah....

So what you need to do is this. when everyone is through climbing for the day. be the last to walk down.Make sure that everyone is down from the crag.Complain to your friends that forgot your ------- at the crag and that you'r going to run back up and get it. Go to the trunk of your car and get your machete/axe/chainsaw/dynamite. carry it up to the crag and cut the fucker down your own self.
The next part is very important. Don't tell anyone you did it. If you do you'll be labeled a "tree hater" and ostrasized from the gay mans glee club.

So here it is in a nutshell. Sack up and do it yourself instead of complaining about it.
Do you like apples? Well, how do you like [b]THEM APPLES[/b]