Denver Questions

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
Josephine

Denver Questions

Post by Josephine »

so i'm going to be in denver for about 8 hours on a random weekday - my plane leaves at 7pm so i need to be at the airport etc by about 5.

Am wondering what kinds of fun, daytime, non climbing things i should check out. i saw they have a zoo. is it any good? any really good local places to eat? i've never been to denver before so suggestions/opinions welcome!
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Denver sucks, just go to the climbing gym.
Living the dream
captain static

Post by captain static »

Is that for a layover? The Denver airport itself is not close to anything, basically out on the plains northeast of town. Luckily Denver has good public transportation. You can take a bus from the airport to many places so the first thing you need are bus schedules from the airport. I know Piggy was pooh pooing Boulder but you can take an express bus there from the airport and there are many shops and restaurants along the Pearl St. Mall area plus great views of the Flatirons.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
bcombs

Post by bcombs »

Bill is right, DIA isn't close to anything. It wasn't always that way, they moved the airport awhile back. Anyway...

If you make it to Boulder and you want to eat check out The Mediteranean on Walnut and 10th. Great food and pretty resonable. I'm sure there are other great spots around there but that one stuck out in my mind.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

not a layover - i'm driving back from vedauwoo and flying out that day.

should i spend my time in boulder rather than denver? i hadn't considered that.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Wes

Post by Wes »

Josephine wrote:should i spend my time in boulder rather than denver? i hadn't considered that.
That would be what I would suggest - Pearl Street, Neptune, 29th street mall. Plenty of fun ways to kill a day in Boulder. Oh, and you could check out the best climbing in the front range at the spot...
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Legion

Post by Legion »

I don't know much about Denver other than it smells like mothballs and is about 30mi south of here. The airport is about 45min on the toll road. If you decide to hang out in Boulder let me know. I can give you some suggestions, maybe even be able to meet up for a quick climb if you are interested.
redpointron

Post by redpointron »

Wes wrote:
Josephine wrote:should i spend my time in boulder rather than denver? i hadn't considered that.
That would be what I would suggest - Pearl Street, Neptune, 29th street mall. Plenty of fun ways to kill a day in Boulder. Oh, and you could check out the best climbing in the front range at the spot...
wes is right. go to neptune mountaineering and try not to spend money. go to southern sun next door and have some good beer... 8)
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

I bet they have a walmart in Denver but seriously if you have a car you should at least drive thru Eldorado Canyon and check out the literature and gear at the previously mentioned Neptune or Boulder Mtneering if its still there
Don McGlone

Post by Don McGlone »

Yellow Spur
Shedding off one more layer of skin
Keeping one step ahead of the persecutor within