Climbing in VA?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
knut883

Climbing in VA?

Post by knut883 »

Does anyone know if there is any good climbing near The University of Virgina or William and Mary? I am talking within 2 hrs of driving. Also is their anyhting thing near DC like by Georgetown?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Great Falls is about as close as it gets to DC. Pretty much the other side of the Potomac from the Distric.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
agrigabe

Post by agrigabe »

It's not worth a trip from DC, by any means, but if you're in Charlottesville and desperate to climb something, Moorman's boulders will keep you busy for an hour or so: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/list ... reaID=1075
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

Last month we went climbing in Mather's Gorge at Great Falls National Park. Not bad climbing and it is just 14 miles upriver on the Potomac from DC. If you want some adventure and nice trad then visit Old Rag at Shenandoah National Park.
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder
dmw

Post by dmw »

McAfee's knob in SW VA - past Roanoke - is really cool bouldering with a long ass approach, but pretty far from where you are. Seneca is probably closest, or Great Falls..... there is a small crag near Big Island - on 501 going towards Lexington - near the parkway - ask at Blue Ridge Outdoors for the name, I can't remember it, but it is pretty. Something about a tooth.... Tunsel's Tooth, maybe?
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

J rock still climbs?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
traddaddy

Post by traddaddy »

Carder Rock is across the Potomac from Great Falls on the Maryland side.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/list ... reaID=1431
ynot

Post by ynot »

imposter!
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
captain static

Post by captain static »

I lived in Richmond, VA for 3 years when I was in college and climbed at Seneca at least every other weekend during the summer. Both Seneca & the New are regular destinations for VA & DC climbers.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

pigsteak wrote:J rock still climbs?
No, not really. Mostly I just fall. The same goes with the mountain biking too.
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder