Shelf Road - Good?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
SCIN

Shelf Road - Good?

Post by SCIN »

We're thinking about heading out west this spring and Shelf Road may be one of our destinations. Anyone climbed there? Any good?
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
RRO

Post by RRO »

ames and i went on 2 short trips. one we got snowed out and built igloos for days and the other we had a great time. fun climbing, more techy than here, most the cracks are bolted so thats kinda weird. the camping is totally chill and the people we meet were cool. its worth a trip if your out there. i wouldnt road trip just to hit shelf when the red and the dirty south are just hours away. how late in the year are you going ?
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
SCIN

Post by SCIN »

Bolted cracks are good because you don't have to mess with those confusing springy jammers. Not sure how late we're going. It will just be one of many destinations along with Maple, Rifle, Wild Iris, and City of Rocks.
Yo Ray jack dynomite! Listen to my beat box! Bew ch ch pff BEW ch ch pfff! Sweet!

-Horatio
haas

Post by haas »

It's been called "trashy versions of good French Limestone crags" I was just there for 4 days and while I've never climbed French Limestone, I can see where they are coming from. The routes are shorter and many are squeeze jobs. A lot of the descriptions say something along the lines as "don't climb this if someone is on the line next to it". All in all I did enjoy myself but I also live 2hrs. from it. I would not make it a destination from Kentucky. Depending when in the Spring, Rifle is a better choice.
haas

Post by haas »

It's not as cool as Lion's Head limestone in Ontario if you've ever been there.
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

how is it in early April? I drove through Rifle about that time last year and it seemed super wet. Any other recommendations on good CO destinations that time of the year?
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Have you ever been to South Platte?
travesty74

Post by travesty74 »

I've only been there twice but hit up the Sureal Estate Wall if you go.
gunslnga

Post by gunslnga »

just when I was interested in a thread on CO..........
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.....
Stewy911

Post by Stewy911 »

Scobro and I went out last summer and were not impressed. The rock quality was not that great, at least what we got on. I have heard great things but I think we just missed all the classics.
Who Me? I gotta hitch hike god damn 18 miles to get a god damn beer......that's bullshit.