Fortress Wall: Attack of the Killer Bees

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Sketch

Fortress Wall: Attack of the Killer Bees

Post by Sketch »

Ok, so I don't think they are killer bees (Greg was stung and is still alive) but there is a HUGE swarm of bees at Fortress wall, just before you turn the corner to get to Bedtime for Bonzo. It looks live they've made a hive in a big hueco on the wall right next to the trail. They aren't close enough to any route to bother you while you are on any climb, just while hiking past on the approach trail. Just FYI.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

I didn't see them last time I was out but you sure could hear them.
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
Stewy911

Post by Stewy911 »

That is the same nest I believe that was there last year. If I am correct on the location it is just to the right once you rap off of bedtime for bonzo. Be careful because last year there seemed to be hundreds of em in that huge nest. Scobro and I were never bothered by them but I remember Sco saying" Shshhhhhhh" as I rapped off.

Mason
Who Me? I gotta hitch hike god damn 18 miles to get a god damn beer......that's bullshit.
Steve

Post by Steve »

They were out and about this past weekend. They are on that little rise that you have to walk up to get to the Girl Scout Flake or the Turret. FYI the copperheads are back out at the base of the Turret. SO, if you rap off the top of Bedtime don't do one long rap or you'll end up stuck between a family of vipers and a swarm of bees.

Another Fortress heads up, there is a wasp nest at the top of Serpent. Its in a little pocket right before the ledge. You pretty much rap right over the top of them when you use the Snake , Calypso III rap station.

To quote a guy we ran into on Saturday "There's a lotta nature out here".
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
ynot

Post by ynot »

I saw a cool new lizard at Long wall. Light brown with dayglow orange spots. he wasnt moving very fast like the others.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
The Pirate

lizards

Post by The Pirate »

Yeah, we have seen several of those lizards. But mostly near the creeks and ponds...They have a awsome "paint job"...
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains...You're lucky enough...