North Carolina Bouldering...suggestions

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...
travelinyouth

North Carolina Bouldering...suggestions

Post by travelinyouth »

I am headed back down to North Carolina on the 17th and am planning on doing some bouldering. I have been to blowing rock once before and loved it, and I also heard Grandmother is super dope. Is there any guide books for the bouldering .... or the area in general??? I am also open to suggestions on places to throw down. Places with good concentrations of V3-6 would also be great to know!

Thanks.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Are you only going to be in the Boone Area. It can be kind of cold there this time of year, but might also be perfect or even hot, who knows. If its cold and sunny check out the lost cove. G'Mom is killer.

There is tons of great bouldering all around the state it just depends where your at. If you are around the Peidmont there is a ton of bouldering at Moore's just PM me for details.
Living the dream
Wes

Post by Wes »

www.ncbouldering.com

g'mom might be hit or miss this time of year, lost cove is just around the corner, and gets really good sun.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
A. Love

Bouldering in NC

Post by A. Love »

Hi,
I saw you were asking about bouldering in NC and thought I would make some suggestions. The weather here in Boone is really good right now. We had a little snow day before yesterday, but it is melting quickly. Temps have been very good recently. This is the time of year where all of our areas are in the transition stage with regards to weather and temperature, meaning pretty much all of the areas are good right now. G-mom(warmer weather area which is in the shade much of the time) is still a little bit cold, Blowing Rock(good summer, spring, fall and winter) is in primo shape, the 221 circut(really good in summer, fall and spring) is off the chain as well, and the Lost Cove boulders (generally colder weather due to south faces) are also in good shape. As a local, I'd love to show you around, but I will be at the Red. We have no guides, but we do have an informative website (www.ncbouldering.com) that has maps and directions to our resources. Please pay careful attentin to the suggestions made with regards to parking, camping and pooches. You will no doubt meet people at the areas who will be able to show you the problems you might want to get on.
As far as your question of V3-V6, the best areas are Grandmother, Blowing Rock, Lost Cove and selected parts of the 221 circut. Hope you have a great trip.
travelinyouth

Post by travelinyouth »

Well I really appreciate all the suggestions. I am visiting a friend who lives in the Chapel Hill area and will be dead in the water on the monday and tuesday (the 20th and 21st) of that week because he will be working. Is there any bouldering around that area, like within an hours drive?? Because as the trip stands it is Saure Town on sat, moore's sunday, mon and tues chapel hill, then Stone mountain wednesday, then Linville Gorge goodness on thurs/fri, and boone area on fri-sun. So if I could fill in that mon tues with some light weight bouldering, I would have completely out done myself on this climbing venture!!

Again Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, and if anyone is going to be in the area I would be more than happy to meet up with a local and get the insiders knowledge!!!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Boulder at Moores(two mile), Not to far away. There are some boulders around raliegh, but you will have to ask someone else for details. Heard they aren't to good.
Living the dream