Mountain Biking $$

Artsay

Mountain Biking $$

Post by Artsay »

I'm not into the mountain biking side of things but I just spoke with Denile (pronounced: D'Neal) at Pedal the Planet (out Richmond Road) and she invited us to set up a booth at Pedal the Planet's Bicycle Film Festival, March 31st, downtown Lexington. I think this would be a great way to hand out literature on the MTB recreational side of the PMRP and raise awareness and support. She also said the owners are big on raising money for biking development so mark them down for helping.

Anyone want to run with this? Matt, I know this is up your ally...anyone you can think of that would want to do this?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

karen loves to MTB as well.....maybe we can get her on board for that project.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Karen's help would be appreciated. Matt and I have been talking to the kymba kids (actually went to a trail day in jefferson county) and have drummed up some interest. Thing is, those are mostly Louisville people and we haven't really been able to get a good relationship started in Lex. Lots of people mention it but I have yet to make any major leaps in Lex. Matt may have been able to make some more progress though. He's trying to set up a singletrack trail day in the next couple months.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

BTW, Pedal the Planet's policy with non-profit fundraising is that they will sell a bike to the organization at cost to raffle off. This maybe something to pursue in the future.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Hey, anyway to meet up with a couple of MTB people one day this weekend/ next week / next weekend on the MPRP for some photography? Esp. if we could find a couple cool looking spot for the photos. Nothing gets people motavatied like seeing an area...
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
charlie

Post by charlie »

Yeah, we need to get out and start flagging some trails. Maybe next weekend we can get some of the biking kids down to get the ball rolling on a trail day.

Tackett's been talking to them more than me though so it's probably his call. Mark Jackson said he could be clear for the 2nd and 3rd weekend of March to flag as well.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

If you all give me some info, pictures, etc., I'll put a page up on the site.
RRO

Post by RRO »

I will do this Saturday as well. Sorry guys its been busy around here. I have been working and talking with the mtb bike people and have some info to share. Would depend on time of day for the event, hopefully we will be busy during that time. I can call them and talk about it a bit more.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
RRO

Post by RRO »

I would be game to help out with the festival and am trying to continue forward on the PMRP mtn bike project. Have not called them about the event but will Monday, I have emailed Amanda from Pedal the Planet. Has anyone else talked to them this weekend? Right now we are trying to get the mtb bike community excited enough to come out and help develop the area. They are like most climbers, they have their weekends and want to pedal as much as possible. I do think once they see the area and word gets out about the potential they will get stoked. I would like to have the trail day in April. That way we can talk it up during the festival and can get the word out thru other forms of media. This is a huge endeavor but I think we can pull it off. Developing trails and routes for climbing is fast compared to building a proper bike trail. I think we can handle it but its not going to be an overnight destination spot. The BOD needs to decide how they would like the area to start getting developed and how deep they want to go. Free riding has grants as well as single track and other forms of riding just depends on where you want the focus and if your willing to host races and make the place a real destination. I am trying to get the grants looked at and see what we need to do.
Here are some I am looking at
http://gold.ky.gov/grants/rtp.htm
http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/ ... rants.html
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Awesome, Matt! Great work! I haven't talked to PTP but once on Friday (my initial post). I think they're definitely someone to utilize. I'd suggest going through Denile and mentioning my conversation with her. That way she knows we're communicating and (somewhat) organized.

Kipp - I think that's a great idea with Karen. See if she's up for it!