Bursitis

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
littleboxes15

Bursitis

Post by littleboxes15 »

I was wondering if any other climbers out there have this and know of a good way to deal with it. As of right now it can end my climbing days really quick. I can't even belay. It used to be that a couple of Vioxx would fix me up just fine, but that's not an option anymore. Any advice on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Wes

Post by Wes »

Elbows? If so then the key is to make sure your opposition muscles are stronger. Pushup, dips, and dumbbell curls are key.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
littleboxes15

Post by littleboxes15 »

Not elbows, shoulders. Will working that area out do the trick?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yep, might need some shoulder stabilization exercises. You have access to a gym? Maybe some basic wieght exercises will help.

Po, the kung fu panda
littleboxes15

Post by littleboxes15 »

I have the Johnson Center, but I'm not really sure which muscle groups to focus on.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Maybe talk to one of the fitness people there? Pretty much, you just need some basic stuff, maybe a couple times a week to help balance out what you are doing with climbing. Nothing to crazy or hard at all. I can give you a list of a couple things to work on, if you want.

Po, the kung fu panda
littleboxes15

Post by littleboxes15 »

That would be awsome. Thank you so much.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Don't let it go too long. It can take six weeks to heal from a minor injury and up to a year to heal a chronic injury. Stretching the affected muscles on a regular basis helps a lot. Definitely strengthen the opposing muscles.
littleboxes15

Post by littleboxes15 »

Is 8 years too long? It started in school when I had to carry a really heavy back pack and I guess it hasn't healed sinse. My mother, who is also a physician, has the same problem and she said there's not much that can be done to "cure" it, outside of really strong drugs or surgery, and I would prefer not to have to use either if possible. If exercise is the key though, I am more than willing to commit to that. Especially if it means I get to climb more.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Healing is the key and then physical therapy. One rule to keep in mind with bursitis/tendonitis - If it hurts, don't do it. You don't want it to get inflamed. While in physical therapy mode you may have to work through a little pain but it shouldn't hurt or get worse. Also do plenty of stretching to make room for all that stuff that rubs together causing inflammation.

I have fixed my elbows, back and neck with physical therapy. Just do some research on the best exercises for your condition.