Updates

meetVA

Post by meetVA »

What about Chicago?
I pm'd neuroshock and here's his response:
"Boxes might do well. they'd be worth it even if only to inform more people about the situation and give them something to think about. In addition to the boxes, what's going on with the flyers?

let's see... Chicago gyms with lots of climbers that frequent the Red and would probably be open to having a box and trustworthy enough to do so?

- Lakeshore Athletic Club (http://www.lsac.com/illinoiscenter/) - I work there part-time. contact the wall manager, Rachel Gonzales (Rachel.Gonzales@LakeshoreAthleticClubs.com). I'm sure she'd be willing to try to help out.

- Lincoln Park Athletic Club (http://www.lpaconline.com/climbing.html) and Evanston Athletic Club (http://www.eaconline.com/climbing.html) - LPAC is kinda dead these days because it has an outdoor wall, but I think people still use the treadwall in the winter. I personally know the wall manager, Keith, but not the Director, Jeremy.

- Hidden Peak (http://www.lakeshoreacademy.com/hiddenpeak/) - Bouldering gym from which a lot of people go to the Red. Run by Dave Hudson (climb64@mac.com)

- Climb On (http://www.climbon.net/) - owned and run by Mary-Jo and Glenn...a great couple for sure. smaller family-owned gym in the suburbs. what might help is that there's an ABS comp there on February 4th. let them know far enough ahead of time and maybe they can make an announcement during kickoff/awards or something.

- Vertical Endeavors (http://www.verticalendeavors.com/ve-war ... nville.htm) - a big gym with a large number of regulars that climb at the Red. The manager's nickname is "Bela" <bell-uh> but I can't remember his real name for the life of me. I don't have his direct contact info. There's a climbing comp there in March ("No Holds Barred") and they might be able to make an announcement then, too. I'm not really well known there, but I did win the last ABS comp they held, so maybe that's enough.

If they can't directly send the monies in themselves, I'd be willing to go around to collect and send en-masse. I'd probably be known by most, if not all of those mentioned above. Also, if they want a more local contact, or if you need an introduction ("I'm calling/writing because Mike Chung felt that you might be open to...."), feel free to use me. Most of the above gyms, if not all, know who I am. Or, I might be able to help out getting these done...the request coming from someone local that they know might be easier than a referred cold-call.

There are other gyms, still. I just don't personally know people there. If not collection boxes, at least send them a flyer. Call around to let them know that they'll get something in the mail, why, and to get a commitment to put it somewhere visible in their gym. Indoor Summits in Naperville, IL (http://www.indoorsummits.com/; North Wall in Crystal Lake, IL (there's an ABS comp there on 1/28 http://climbnorthwall.com/); Northlander Climbing Gym in Rockford, IL (http://www.northlander.us/; and various walls in Lifetime Fitness gyms throughout the suburbs. You should also consider Upper Limits (Bloomington, IL and St. Louis, MO http://www.upperlimits.com/) and Boulders (Madison, WI http://www.bouldersgym.com/). And then there are the various gyms in Michigan....

Most of us that train on the better home walls are already aware and have received Hugh's email. The RRGCC should be receiving an envelope with a few checks in it in a couple weeks. It should, hopefully, help get that anonymous extra $1K on 2/12.

If you want to discuss stuff more, you can email me at neuroshock@yahoo.com or call my cell phone at 773.991.0488. There's no much disk space/quota on this PM system.

-Mike"
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips
meetVA

Post by meetVA »

sorry for being so verbose, i'm still talking to mike about which would be best for secure reasons.

va
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Just some updates for you...

I still haven't heard anything back from the UK Johnson Center. I spoke with Mark Lattin last week and the man who needs to make the final decision is laid up from knee surgery. Mark said he would call me when he heard something.

I'm still continuing to send the "thank you" letters to donors. Donations have slowed down drastically but we're still receiving them. Donation containers our out there but I have more to send out.

The online auction hasn't picked up much steam yet. I hope people utilize it as it's a great way to get people involved that don't have up front cash to give. Roger (randomboulderer) created some stickers he's selling for the cause. I'm creating a sales page for items and will be making it live soon. Once T-shirts, patches, etc. are made, I can add them to the page as well. http://www.redriverclimbing.com/fundraiser/sales.php

Steve is waiting on us to give him a press release. Once we get the UK fundraiser set up, I think we should hit that hard.

I have another lead that's kinda neat. John Mellencamp's wife takes her kids bouldering at Hoosier Heights. Josh sent her an email to see if she'd be interested in someone contacting her about the current issues we're facing. We'll see...

Gym fundraisers all February and we're setting like mad to make it really enjoyable for everyone (tons of moderates).

That's it for me. Hugh, Diane...how about some updates on your end? From what I understand, you've pretty much finished your strategic plans?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I met Elaine Mellencamp last weekend. She is so nice and offered to give me one of her kids (haha) - that would be so cool if she got involved.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

working on the af grant. business planning with the RRGCC.
Paul and I and whoever need to get together to get some concrete pitch to business donors. Lexmark?
I have made contact with Hinkle contruction. Sprag, who was the construction guy you mentioned?
We still on for tomorrow night Michelle, Paul?
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have finished draft 1 of both the business plan and the access fund grant application. Brad MC is commenting on the Biz plan, and I also sent it to Charlie, Bob, Bill and Matt Tackett. Those 4 also got the Access Fund application. Once I get some feedback from the Board, I'll finalize a short form of the strategic plan/where we want to get our $ from - but here's the quick version -

I've stretched it out over 3 years to be realistic and have the following amounts from the following areas:

Total Project Budget/Breakdown of Financing:
We project that we need $200,000 to fully pay for the PMRP by 2008. In an effort to do so, we have set the following objectives and feel that these are realistic and realizable.
· Direct solicitations of individual climbers – with a goal of generating $25,000 each year over the next three years (total of $75,000)
· Solicitation of donations from industry, climbing gyms, and regional businesses with a vested interest in the economic development of Eastern Kentucky – with a goal of generating $12,000 each year over the next three years. This includes Wolverine Publishing’s generous contributions to the project, based on annual sales of the new climbing guide to the Red (total from industry of $36,000)
· Aggressively pursue opportunities for grant funding for the project, with a goal of raising $45,000 through grant funding. This would include a proposed $30,000 from the Access Fund as well as grants from regional foundations with an interest in Eco/Adventure Tourism as well as regional economic development in Southeastern Kentucky. ($45,000)
· Fundraising events and activities, as planned and implemented by an all-volunteer fundraising team, that we anticipate can generate up to $7,500 each year (this includes all proceeds from Roctoberfest, Online Auctions, T-Shirt Sales, Raffles, Canister Collections, etc.) ($22,500)
· Aggressively pursue opportunities for funding through KY Tourism and other related state funding sources, anticipating that we can access at least $15,000 in funding from state sources. ($15,000)
This totals $193,500 – to raise the remaining $6500 necessary to reach our goal of $200,000 we will invest any excess raised in 2006 and 2007 in a money market or similar account that will generate interest income, applied towards the 2008 payment and/or we will host additional fund raising events as necessary. Further, if the RRGCC exceeds these fundraising goals and/or raises the necessary funds ahead of schedule, we would be interested in talking with the AF about how to best contribute towards other land purchases in the U.S.

COMMENTS on the above are graciously accepted - these are ballpark figures, but as you see, we need to get more aggressive in some of our areas - i.e. industry and business - VA is on top of the gyms (whoo hoo) but we need to think outside of the box - Paul and Hugh are doing so w/ Lexmark, Hinkle Construction, etc. but we need to get a bigger list of who to hit up and how to spin things. I can generate some materials for distribution/use in talking w/ businesses.

We also need to step up and start to really work the State Funds - I have the name of one State Rep in Hazard who is a climber/rapeller, so he's a good spot to start, but we'll need to work this more...maybe Morgain can help to finesse this plan.

GRANTS - we need to find some other sources...I've done some looking, but honestly, my time is so limited right now that I haven't done all that I can. RRO, any chance that you can talk w/ your contacts at MACED about what they might know about who to approach? Seems they'd be a likely source of information... and I'll keep digging as well.

That's all I have at present. Thanks for all that each of you are doing.

Diane
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Hey Hugh,

Yea, Paul and I will be bouldering tonight so just come on by whenever. We'll definitely be there after 6:30pm.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

You rule, Diane. 8)
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Awesome Di!

I do have a short list of businesses/people we need to contact. I am expanding it weekly.

Leonard Lawson (Mountain Industries)
Derek Vaughan (Vaughan Tobacco)
Ashland Oil
Several people with serious money: Finn Green; John VanMeter, etc
Smaller companies: Bourbon N Toulouse, John's Run Walk shop, etc.

Before I contact Mr. Lawson or Derek Vaughan, I'd like to hook up with Di so that we can develop a "pitching" strategy. When I get in touch with Mr. Lawson, I anticipate he'll want to set up a meeting, asap. Same with Derek Vaughan or Hinkle or any Ashland exec.

So, my opinion is that it's best to have our pitching strategy together and our calendars cross-referenced so that I can make appointments when I make contact.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Pete

Post by Pete »

Morgain - Tony that used to work at J&H now works at John's - the one at Lexington Green - he'd be a good place to start there.

We can develop a pitch. I can't do it tonight, I teach... but can do it any other time.

Di
"Don't ever admit you keep score, it's just lame. Go climbing." LK Day