Events

squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Not sure if this was already mentioned or is in the works but one other climber we can tap as a resource is Arno. He might be interested in helping out the community.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
KD

auction

Post by KD »

Artsay wrote:Welcome KD! I think the gear auction is a great idea! What we need to figure out is:
1. How to get the most for the item (publicizing the event)
2. Accepting money
3. Getting the items to the winner
Thanks! glad to help anyway i can :)

what if we simply posted what items we had including pic. accepted bids either in forumn or by pm. buyer made shipping arraingments (kinda like ebay) then seller sends in money - something simple would probably work out okay. maybe have a gear auction thread.... thoughts?
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I'll see if Ray can get the auction forum figured out tonight. Did you look at the demo page? Is that what you had in mind?

The only problem I foresee is the money deal. If I handle the money via our PayPal account, how will the shipper be reimbursed for shipping costs? Or should we just rely on the individual receiving payment for their auction and sending in a donation?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
KD

Post by KD »

Artsay wrote:I'll see if Ray can get the auction forum figured out tonight. Did you look at the demo page? Is that what you had in mind?

The only problem I foresee is the money deal. If I handle the money via our PayPal account, how will the shipper be reimbursed for shipping costs? Or should we just rely on the individual receiving payment for their auction and sending in a donation?
that might work (the latter scenerio) - i would take the simple route and make it the responsibility of the buyer to arrange shipping and the seller to send their money in as soon as it is recieved. i'm thinking this because of the apparent ease of start-up.

a more elaborate system would also be great to have but in any case it would be easier for the buyer to arrange recieving themselves.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Email received from Roger Huang (randomboulderer). He's the guy doing the stickers. I forwarded it the RRGCC and everyone's pretty psyched about it:
Hey Michelle,

So here's another idea that I thought of. I recently got an email about tickets for the the Banff Film Festival in Chicago going on sale. The store sponsoring the event this year is called Race Logixx and in the e-mail there was a line saying affiliates of a organization interested in using the venue for fundraising could contact them via e-mail. So, I was thinking, why not get a table setup at the event for the RRGCC with info about PMRP issue and taking donations, memberships to the RRGCC, and I could have my stickers to sell as well. With the support of the RRGCC, I'd be willing to get this setup and do what's needed for the event here in Chicago taking place in April. What I would need though, is help from the coalition or members of the community to provide me with a 'setup' for the table. Things such as flyers, maybe informational pamplets, maps of the preserve area, photos, etc. Basically visual aids and other stuff to use to inform/educate people stopping by the table and encourage contributions. At the very least it would be a good way to get the word out, especially since Banff attracts mainly climbers and other outdoor enthusiasts who might be more concerned and willing to help with the issue. I don't think I'm informed enough or have access to the resources to make all these aids that we'd be presenting, but if a poster or some kind of setup did get made, then it could be re-used by others at other similar events.

Okay, so here's part 2 of the idea. I actually was at Race Logixx the other day to buy tickets for Banff and chatted briefly with the lady there. Apparently, if you buy tickets for the Chicago Banff event online, you can have 20% of the money donated to an organization. See here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/racelogix/bafifeti.html
From what the person at the store told me, it sounded like we could possibly get added to the list for ticket buyers to donate their 20% to. I didn't inquire much into it though, and I'm not sure if there are restrictions requiring it to be a local organization or what not. But it maybe something worth looking into.

I'm interested in hearing what you think of it and whether the coalition would support it and get stuff made up for it. And if so, who would do you think I should contact? Sounds like the RRGCC BOD are busy with other things, and I even emailed them the other week via their website to confirm that they received my $75 check, but never got a response (it eventually got deposited, so I guess they did).

Anyway, this is just all ideas and speculation at the moment, but I can easily inquire more about seeing how possible it is to do.

Roger
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

Banff will be hitting the area soon (i.e. Bloomington) and having been to three, I know it draws in a huge crowds.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I finally made some ground with UK. After contacting almost every week for the past two months, it seems like it's finally a go! What I need now is to let them know the date we would like, a second date (in case we can't get our first request), and how many people we'd like the room to hold.

Ideas anyone? Should we shoot for a weekday night?

March is looking busy. So far we have:
Torrent Falls Trail Day - 11th
RockQuest Comp - 18th
Post Comp Party (Bloomington) - 25th

Anything else I'm forgetting?
charlie

Post by charlie »

Only thing I have on my schedule (other than the BOD meeting after the Torrent trail day) is the HP 40 comp (formerly Bouldergrass) on the 25th.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

So who's all on board with helping with this thing? I'm spearheading it but help would be much appreciated. A lot of the ideas Karla had for the RockQuest comp I'd like to do for this. We also need to secure as much shwag as possible and obviously need to have it acquired by the day of the event.

Wes - Are you up for the slide show?

Morgain - How's the shwag looking?

High, Diane - And word from Black Diamond?

I was thinking we could do a used gear sale too....advertise at the gear shops and stuff and try to get an article about it beforehand.

So maybe some night mid-April, when folks are buzzing to get outdoors. And that'll give us plenty of time to get organized, advertised, and ready.

But first and foremost I need to get a date locked in at UK. All input appreciated!
Wes

Post by Wes »

I am doing a show the 4th at RRO, then the one at rockquest. I would be up for just about any tuesday, wednesday or thrusday in march for the UK thing. I think a weeknight would be best.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda