Events

Wes

Events

Post by Wes »

Hey, I think having a couple - three "events" each year is a good thing. Above and beyond the derbyfest/rocktoberfest parties, maybe a nice, simi formal dinner with a slide show or belay/batchelor auction or guest speaker would be a good way to help keep people talking and raise some money. I think the SCC does this kinda thing, and it seems to do well for them.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

The immeditate problem I see with this is upfront cash. The way we're set up, we can collect money and give it directly to the RRGCC but we're not allowed to play with the funds we receive "legally". What are some other ideas that won't cost much?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

None of these ideas will cost a penny. Get climbing gyms to donate space, get chefs in the area to donate food. For instance, if we had space here, I know that Jonathan would donate food. But we don't have a gym.

There's a guy in the Columbus area who is a chef and donated a dinner for two. They also had a spaghetti dinner at a gym there and a texas hold'em tournament. These ideas are cheap and the money is all profit.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Wes

Post by Wes »

Oh, oh, poker night!!! That would be easy to set up, and could make some pretty good money. Just have a buy in, and people can get donated stuff based on who has the most chips at the end.

Po, the kung fu panda
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I'd be in for a pool competition! 8)
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Exactly. Three fundraisers like a poker night, "climb for access" where people climb ___ feet for ___ cash or any other type of fundraiser can really be cheap, raise awareness and be fairly easy to throw together. We just need people in various cities to assist in hosting them.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

How about a comp in our gym! I'm serious! Or something focused around our gym we'd totally be in for.
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

wes, what do you think about putting together a dvd with a slideshow and selling it/mailing it out as a promotional video? maybe we could get spencer to let us use some clips from the video and get a big name (who? katie brown?) to narrate and ask for help?
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

I know it sounds crazy, but if Alan Evil and Kipp are willing to take a pie in the face, we should TOTALLY have an rrc.com raffle. I bet we could make $1000 off it. Seriously. People would have to collect money to bid to throw a pie in their face. People could bid in groups to throw several, if they can collect over $500. Whatcha think? If the RRGCC wants to distance themselves from it, I bet Miguel would be willing to host it, say on opening weekend.

-Everlast
Wes

Post by Wes »

Paul, I would be fine with it for my photos, but the many of the other people make their living by selling climbing photos, so they might not be able to. Let's see how the shows go first, then I can approach them about additional usage licenses, because, as of now, I am only allowed to show the photos from my laptop at the slide shows, nothing else.

Po, the kung fu panda