Electrical Work is Hard!

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
KD

Electrical Work is Hard!

Post by KD »

I just finished rewiring my climbing wall lights and outlets by myself. The first time an engineer friend wired it for me and I thought I remembered how to wire it up. I spent five hours the other night putting in wiring, conduit, boxes, fittings, lights and all that stuff. I did it by myself so I had to run up and down the ladders to the breaker box a bunch of times before the lights finally came on. The problem was they wouldn't turn off. So...yesterday I rewired my rewiring and discovered how to make a circuit, with a switch - eventually it worked and now I have lights and outlets. I admire anybody who does this for a living. :)
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

I don't know, like any trade if you get the basics down and think about everything a few times before you do something it's not too bad. That being said, I can't figure out why the power to my garage is gone :(
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

Wiring is fun. It's like a puzzle. Just follow the steps and you get it right every time.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
KD

Post by KD »

it was pretty cool linking all the plastic parts in a chain and trying to get it all right. havent glued everything yet because i'm not sure if it's too cold out for the glue to hold well enough. everything is under the roof though so it's pretty watertight.
spock

Post by spock »

Loose wires cause fires. Make sure that your wire nuts are tight. Also, glue will do just fine in these temps.
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

Glue cures better when the temp is above 50 degrees. Give it extra time in cold weather, try to keep it from freezing before it fully cures.
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
walrus

Post by walrus »

black to brass, white to silver, switch the hot wire,
what are you gluing? screws and clamps are nice.
Last edited by walrus on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Evil

Post by Alan Evil »

Wrap your wirenuts with tape, too.

My cousin is a licensed electrician so anytime it's more complicated than installing a light fixture or GFI or replacing a switch, I call him.

Electricity bites.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

use wirenuts filled with dielectric grease if the wires have any chance whatsoever of getting moist

Alan Evil

Post by Alan Evil »

Good one. I'll pack that away for future use.

I put dielectric grease on all my chassis connections on my car, like taillights, plasma things, strobe lights. You know, the regular stuff.
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]