What is this?

rhino

Post by rhino »

So do we have a meeting time for Saturday? Miguel's @ 10:00?
"Hookers and drugs man. Money can't buy happiness but it's really hard not to smile when you're in a cheap hotel room surrounded by hookers and drugs." ~ Charlie
batguano

Post by batguano »

I'll be there this weekend. I can bring some supplies and hardware that may prove useful.
weather is occurring.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Rendevous at Miguel's 10 am sat.
I had a thought concerning the dilemma of letting cars being broken in to.
I will donate my Trooper as a slam piece. If everyone can bring a bit of bait gear to load into it (old boom boxes) we can set out there at the Lode and let the theives do their worst.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
meetVA

Post by meetVA »

I'll bring an old boom box (granting my roomie hasn't thrown it out yet).
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I too will be there! Bob, Jacob, and I got hit yesterday at the Grove.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Don't want to make it too obvious though!
Damn Terry, twice in a week?
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Thanks Ray and Hugh for letting me in on this. I would love to help out this weekend but I going to spend time with my Father(Father's day) this weekend in Northeastern Ohio. Being from Columbus i am not sure how much of a help I can be at a 'local' level but I am willing to try.

I agree that any attempt to stop these guys if and when you catch them in the act could be very very dangerous. I have first hand experience with drug addicts and I can tell you they will not hesitate to use any force necessay to get away. You have to assume they have guns and other deadly weapons and are not afraid to use them.

Good luck guys and gals and be very careful
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
captain static

Post by captain static »

As they say history has a tendency of repeating itself. Back in "The Day" a member of the UC Mountaineering Club got in a scuffle with some bikers living in the Gorge area. They had messed with the wrong guy because he was a fireman & had connections with law enforcement. He provided the KSP with licenses & descriptions. When the KSP went to investigate a gun battle ensued & from what I understand several of the bikers were killed. So yes they are armed and dangerous.

Today I have spoken with both the Lee Co. & Wolfe Co. Sheriff Depts. about the break-ins and have left a message with the Stanton District Ranger, Joy Malone so that all local law enforcement is notified that climbers are concerned about these break-ins. The Lee County Sheriff's office advises anyone who either experiences or witnesses a break-in to call 911 dispatch.

What would be extremely helpful for me in speaking with law enforcement is if I could collect as much detail as possible about each break-in, the who, what, where, when and info about the value of damage and items taken. My e-mail is: cpstatyk@pipeline.com & my phone nos. are work 859-344-9807 & home 513-769-7217
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

copied pm from michael

you may want to also add stewey911, kentuckysarah, and ScoBro. Sco was one of the people who was broken into.

thanks

Michael
Normie
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

I spoke with the KSP Lt at the Richmond Post today to notify them of our intention for Sat and to make sure we have a Trooper on duty in the Lee Co. area Sat. We will.
As Bill said, the number is 800 222 5555, and ask for the Richmond post. On transfer to the Richmond Post, we should ask for the Trooper covering Lee Co. Hopefully we will be able to deliver something tangible to them Sat.
Normie