What is this?

Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I will be at Miguels at 10 with my camera(s), but have to head back to work.
Also if this all goes off well and we get them, I think everyone should keep their names out of it.
I know I don't want my name brought up for fear of having to watch my back, and I'm sure no one else wants to have to watch their backs either.
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

We (J-Rock and I) can't be there this weekend (Father's Day), but we do have some radios and a video camera that can be used if someone from Indy can get it from us before the weekend.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I'll be there this weekend so count me in for a shift or two.
haas

Post by haas »

I'll have to work it out with Matt and see what I have to do at RRO this weekend, but I can hang out all day any day for the most part. I don't have a digital, but I do have an SLR camera with a 500mm zoom lens on it. That gets in real close like. The cops have still not come down to Miguel's after yesterday's break-in.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I will bring two video cameras and my digital slr.
I also have blank vhs tapes.
Can someone bring a vhs vcr to record to?

It is likely that the ksp do not have a digital player (the tapes are much smaller than a vhs).
Almost everyone can play back a vhs though.
We can do an in-camera edit and put it all on one (or more) vhs tapes.
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

hey i'm just getting in on this forum but i thought these might be a few thoughts:

in terms of survelliance, keep the number low. we don't need that many people first of all and second of all, the more people sitting in the woods, the more voices, the higher the chance of them getting wind that something's up.

i was thinking of staking out sunday and i think meetva and rhino might be in on that also.. though i'm not sure and i'm open to hear what you guys think about a sunday stake out.

"if there's food for cockroaches, there will be cockroaches".. what about placing some bait gear? it might help guarantee some sightings at specific spots.. but then again i'm not sure about the laws on entrapment. i don't think that'd qualify, but then again.. i have an old rope somewhere and i could make it look like i have a tent.. but then again, that might be too obvious.

as for trapping them, i think that's a bad idea. if someone wanted to follow.. i'd be very cautious and have several people with you and some guarantee the police could be there quickly. and type of confrontation i think would be a huge mistake and bad for the climbing community as a whole.

do we have a plan, or need one, if they don't have a license plate? if they see us? if they don't come? i'm willing to go down there during a weekday or two..

maybe we should start deciding who will be where and when with what equipment. i'm going to bring my video camera (digital) and my film camera with me.

question for security people: are there such things as stand alone motion activated cameras? i found a few wireless stand alones but you would need to have a download point one hundred yards from the camera.. the prices weren't so bad actually, most being under two hundred dollars. if we were to ever go this route, we shouldn't tell anyone about them. i don't know how great of an idea these would be though..

should we worry about informing the local police about what we're doing? personally, i think we shouldn't let it get outside this forum.
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

Jeff wrote:It is likely that the ksp do not have a digital player (the tapes are much smaller than a vhs).
i'd say worry about this stuff after the fact. you can always record digital to vhs and you can usually hook up the cameras to tvs. if we record it, we'll find a way to present it.
meetVA

Post by meetVA »

you know i'm in.
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Well paul, I'm going to want to take my cameras back home with me, so a vhs tape that can be given to the cops for them to keep is what I'm talking about.
Paul3eb

Post by Paul3eb »

eh-heh.. good point.

lurkist, good idea about having people go in shifts so they can climb still, too. i didn't see what's why you were thinking eight per lot.. personally, i won't mind staking out for a while day somewhere.. i can always come down during the week.

thanks again to everyone who's helping with this, especially ray and lurkist for organizing it.. it's exactly what we need to make it work.