What is this?

ray
Site Admin

What is this?

Post by ray »

This forum was created for the lurkist and his mastermind plan of catching the thieves.

Currently, only the lurkist and any administrators can view this forum.

The lurkist will notify me of anyone he wants to add to the group entitled "Catchers". Once someone is a member of "Catchers", they will be able to view this forum.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Thanks Ray.
To the admins, please lets keep this on the dl and not discuss it outside of this forum.
The situation- we are being victimized by theives in the Red and Southern Region. So far, we have been victims. The KSP and Lee Co Sheriff are unable to do anything secondary to manpower shortages or unwilling.
After discussing this with Morgan and a friend who is a detective with the Lexington police, it seems that we can try something that might bear fruit. If we can organize surveillance of the parking areas and catch the crimes being committed with video evidence along with identifiable images of the theives and license plat numbers (if available), and then can have the owners of the stolen gear identify it and attest to uts worth, there is a good chance that convictions can be sought by the commonweatlh attorneys.
What I am proposing is a non confrontational approach that does nothing more than passively and anonymously (while the crime is being committed) recording the event.
I am interested in folks who can organize and discuss quietly and who want to help (at least temporarily) fix this problem. I don't necessarily have a plan set in stone. I am quite the technology neophyte and would love to get input from folks who have savvy with video equipment, or any othe tech ideas that could be brought to bear.
As a biology teacher once told me, "If you have food and shelter for cockroaches, you will have cockroaches." Unfortunately all to many climbers (traveling) provide the food and the seclusion of the parking provides the shelter. Being in an economically depressed area certainly palys into it. I don't know what to do about that, but in the mean time we can try to fix this problem.
Again, lets let the discussions that occur here stay here.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Great idea Lurkist. I'm down with helping out. HOpefully we can get enough people to organize this thing.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I'm in!
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Add Jeff, please.
thanks
Hugh
Normie
wta

Post by wta »

the lurkist wrote:Add Jeff, please.
thanks
Hugh
Done. What about Ryan, Matt Tacket, and Jason Haas?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hugh,
I guess you may have read my pm by now.
I think a survelance plan is excellent, and like I said, I am offering my video camera and tri-pod to a responsible person to take for the day/weekend.
I would like to help out in person but am on a tight schedual trying to finish building a cabin. Hell, I've only climbed 4 times this year...wahhh.

I also suggest instead of just one video camera at one place, more video and/or still cameras, along with two way radios be used.

I would really like to see something done about this problem rather than the same old complain and do nothing approach.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

What about Capt' Static?
Get him on here, these individual pms are getting to be too much typing!
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Lets add everyone who responded to the other thread.
Capn Static, RRGCC BOD,
Rick, T bone, Susko,
anyone else who is an interested local.
thanks for bringing the other thread to the closed forum.
Normie
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Here are my thoughts.
I would like to get a something going this weekend.
I would like to make it as simplistic as possible.
The more people that will help, the simpler it needs to be.
How about this:
We get a list of folks who are committed to being in the Red/Southern Region (SR) on Sat.
Ideally, eight people per parking area to be staked out. this way, everyone can do an hour or two of squating int he woods, and then can get spelled and go climbing.
I reckon two cameras (digital still and video per parking area with two people at two vantage points to have highest chance of getting the identifiable images that the law will need to get the conviction.)
Obviously we should take what we can get- one guy /girl with a camera would be okay.
I think digital stills would be medium of choice in that it would be easily reproducable for the KY State Police, as would regualr or digital video.
We take turns sitting in a hidden spot waiting for the perps to show.
Ideally (again) it would be nice to be able to communicate between parking areas of the SR. As an example, say we have the manpower to stake out the lode parking, shady grove, and the drive by parking.
The guy at the lode could be the gate keeper to alert the folks on down the way that a suspicious looking car with three rednecks are approaching. Probably to this end the best (most effective ) tactic is just recording and documenting every car that travels on the Bald Rock Rd. , complete with license plates and descriptions.
If we get lucky and catch the crime being committed and get good images, we wait for the perps to clear out (without our interference) and then promptly call the KSP and ask them to meet us/ we go meet them.
Here is where having easily reproducible images would come in handy. If someone could bring a lap top, we could burn the images to a cd/dvd on the spot and had it of to Trooper Sloan. We goes and makes the arrest. Case closed.

That is what I have come up with. Please, let's pick this apart and come up with a better idea. BUT, let's do something this weekend. Cas will be vandalized this weekend. I think we can expect it.
To this end, I have thought about the ethical dilemma of sitting back and watching your car/ someone elses car get vandalized. That is a tough one, but think of it this way. The vandalism would have occured if we weren't there anyway. To interfere with these goons is a bad idea in that they are probably drug addicts looking for loot that they can transfer easily to the street for pills or meth. They could be packing heat. I think the best course is for the law to do its job and we are just helping it.
Again, lets only discuss this on this forum.
thanks
Hugh

Ideally (again)
Normie