Hiking and Trail Recommendations.

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
loren

Hiking and Trail Recommendations.

Post by loren »

My friend’s mother and a couple of her friends are taking a trip to the Gorge and asked me for some suggestions for 3 or 4 good hikes in the area (5-8 miles in length), as well as a couple of shorter hikes. They will be in the area for four days and were hoping to do a day hike each day. They are staying in a cabin, not backpacking, so they will need loops or shuttle service or something. I haven’t done a whole lot of hiking, other than to the crags, so wasn’t able to be of much help. Does anyone have any suggestions, maps, shuttle info, etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Loren
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

I picked up "Hiking the Red" this winter and it's been an interesting read. Made me want to hike more this summer when I'm not climbing. Try and scround up a copy at Joseph Beth in Lex. If you can't find one then it looks like outraGIS topos of the Red are pretty good. I picked up the one for Cave Run Lake and it's really nice.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Isn't there a new trail and hiking guidebook for the Red? I thought I saw one at RRO....
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
KD

Post by KD »

rough trail - you get to see all the good classic parts of the gorge and it isn't really rough. nice hike. it's where i took my wife for our first date. cheapskate - i know.
t bone

Post by t bone »

Rough trail for sure. auxier ridge is shorter but has great views.
GWG

Post by GWG »

Do the Indian Stairway loop. Has some exposure to it with lots of scrambling.

Auxier Ridge trail out to Courthouse rock is nice. Take the loop down into the gorge to lengthen it by about a mile. Makes for a real nice loop trail.
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

GWG wrote:Courthouse rock is nice.
and great to camp on top of...as long as you have a free standing tent

it's amazing to see how much the rock/dirt has shifted in the last 10 yrs or so...we used to be able to squeeze up the little chimney to get to the top...now it's a tiny hole...or maybe i've just gotten a lot bigger... :shock:
From Kentucky ;o)
kentuckysarah

Post by kentuckysarah »

There's a new trail book out that looked really nice, they have it at the Shell station. It even had elevation changes in the back of the book, and from what I scanned through it looked like the trail descriptions were a lot better than the one I have.

And I agree with Rough trail. Also, Rock Bridge is a must do...one of my favorites. To make it longer you can link it up with the Swift Camp Creek Trail. It's such a beautiful area.
We're all in this together
Walkin' the line between faith and fear
This life don't last forever
When you cry I taste the salt in your tears.

Old Crow Medicine Show
loren

Post by loren »

Thanks for the input. I'll suggest Rough trailIf and Auxier Ridge. If anybody has more extensive or specific ideas for a couple more trails, or exact lengh, directions, etc., that would be great!

L
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

There is a new trail guide. It was written by Gerrell Goodpaster. He was one of the early climbers in the Red. He and Mark Jackson (Snake) were my very first climbing partners. Everyone should by a copy.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep