Africa

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?

Africa

Post by Guest »

Is the second pitch of Africa worth doing? Can both pitches be run together with a 60 m rope? If not, what about with a 70 m?

Please don't reveal too much and blow anyone's shot at an onsite.
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

Mathematically it looks ok. 80ft = 24.5m.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

The second pitch is short and *exciting* for the truly trad at heart. It's "OK", at best, in my opinion, but I could see why someone would want to do it. There aren't too many routes in the RRG that top out so that's kinda cool.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.

Post by Guest »

"Exciting" hmmm.... Is it also a handcrack?

Is there a problem with rope drag if you run the pitches together, or is it best to do them seperately?
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I seconded it a looooong time ago and we did it in two pitches. I wouldn't think rope drag would be a problem as long as the leader was smart about using long slings where necessary.

The 2nd pitch isn't a solid hand crack like the first but you definitely get hands most the way. The rock is kinda black in the beginning and we were questioning if it was choss or not but once we climbed it we agreed it was fine.

If you want any other info about it that's not too "revealing", send me a PM.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
ynot

Post by ynot »

I liked the second pitch. The hanging belay wasn't too comfortable. You may need the same pieces for each pitch.I wasnt leading so I dont know about running them together. The second pitch is worth doing.The moves off the belay are cool and then it throws different stuff at you. We walked left at the top and TRed the 10 something face route.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney

Post by Guest »

thanks guys. This thing has me absolutely LUSTING to climb it. :D
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

You and me both, Sandy! I'm psyched to get out to Tower Rock and get on this and Arachnid... and Dog Days, with it's scary topout... :shock:
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)

Post by Guest »

rapping off Tower is a thrill, too! :P
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

So is sending the hike out of Muir Valley! Ask Meadows-- I was really psyched! Wait, what were we talking about again?
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)