Forest Service Road 9 - update

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Forest Service Road 9 - update

Post by Guest »

Here is the letter I received this morning from the Forest Service - the bottom line is that it's going to take some time to repair this road, so plan accordingly:
We were hit really hard with the recent storms and flooding that occurred. In regards to Forest Service Road#9 to Indian Creek, we have mudslide in the road along with some washing away of the road. We have to have engineers look at the damage and they will report back with what needs to be done to fix the situation. We will then send road crews to repair the damaged roads. With the amount of damage it will take some time to get the roads repaired and open again. As of today we have no tentative date scheduled for reopening the road.

Anita Hall
Information Receptionist
USDA Forest Service
Stanton Ranger District
705 W.College Ave.
Stanton, Ky. 40380
I will be in touch with Anita weekly and keep y'all updated. Thanks!
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Today's update from the Forest Service - sounds somewhat promising:
We still don't have a projected date set. Our engineers have been out to the road and are making recommendations. They have been discussing to open the road as one lane but no final decision has been made. The road is open to foot travel if you would like to hike the road. I hope this helps, as soon as I hear any decisions I will pass them along to you.

Post by Guest »

sorry I haven't been able to give you any new news. I have been in touch with the FS, and they have made no decisions as of today.
They are allowing people to hike and ride their bikes and camp up at Indian Creek but the road is still gated.

Post by Guest »

another message from the FS:
I am sorry to report that nothing has changed on FS road 9, but maybe the end of next week we might hear something.
pumpout2004

Forest Road

Post by pumpout2004 »

I have been down service road nine and there is only one spot with heavy damage. Its odd that they would close the road, to vehicles you could drive right past the mud slide.
Chuffer juice!
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

Have been in contact with USFS Supervisior Lee Breth, the main man in charge of making the decision to reopen this road, on August 20th. He said that work should begin on repairing this road perhaps this week, he could not be sure. No Retaining Wall will be built for this slip, instead they plan on bulldozing back into the hillside to create a single lane passage.
For a description on Forest Service Road 9:
http://www.stormpages.com/redriversaga/recon.html

For Photos of the damge from June to present:
http://www.stormpages.com/redriversaga/omega_4.html
http://www.anycities.com/redriversaga3/ ... recon.html
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

August 27th, 2004 8:00 am
Had follow up conversation with USFS Supervisor Lee Breth this morning. He told me that work had begun on Forest Service Road 9. Although no firm opening date is set yet, there is a strong possibility that within a week or two she could be opened back up. I am to call back in another week for update. Or perhaps someone in the area may find out earlier by swinging by and speaking with the work crew for their take on the situation.
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Zspider

Post by Zspider »

That's great news, Glenrider! That means I have to get on Captain One-Eye and Come in your Lycra and do (attempt) the deed. For some reason or other, I always liked Purple Valley in the fall.

Thanks for the update.

ZSpider
Wicked Tribe

Post by Wicked Tribe »

That sucks. It needs to stay closed,
Do Not Spray Next 300 Feet
Steve

Post by Steve »

I hear ya Wicked...I hear ya
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.