Rate the Route - Online Guide

Having problems with the board or the online guidebook?
Suggestions welcome.
ray
Site Admin

Rate the Route - Online Guide

Post by ray »

Let's put an end to the rating wars. I can't think of a better way to give a grade to a route than to take the average of what everyone thinks.

So I added some code to each route in the online guide that allows you to rate the route. Just give the route the grade you think it deserves and over time the average rating will adjust.

Please be honest (Yoda!) so we can get some good data out of this over time.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Very cool. I just rated a few of the ones that I though were "off". Another cool feature for sure.

Wes
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
hamsco

Post by hamsco »

It will be interesting to see what changes
Thanks Ray
Spoonman

Post by Spoonman »

Only problem I can see is that people will intentionally screw with the grades to make them off. Although grades are not important, it is natural that people will compare and then catogarize the subjective yet real difficulty of routes.

Considering the level of seriousness on this board, then applied to a a real objective, I do not see it going to far without grade spammers galor.

Most of the grades are pretty good, compared to Rifle, the New (ie major areas).

Anyway, a survey (if reliable) of the grades is the way to go. At Rifle, everyone in the canyon had a chance to get a list of the routes and had a chance to submit their grades. They had to be in the canyon, though.

Online- you may very well get people grading routes that they have never seen.

Potentially you may have to limit voters to people who have sent the route, and also limit one vote per sprayer per route?

This may not be fair to the person who knows the grade pretty well, but cannot send the route? I have always thought that each respective climber knows the grade best that they can do at their limit and the letter below, and the grade that they cannot do. It is easy to down rate something at your limit five-ten years ago. Maybe too easy to down spray something you cannot do?

May prove to fun anyway?

G
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Good points, Spoonman. Ray has thought about these things too and has set some parameters that will hopefully "keep it real". It'll be a consensus thing so over time the grade will be pulled to that with the most votes. Oh yea, and it is currently set up so that you can only vote once.
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
ray
Site Admin

Post by ray »

Good points for sure Spoonman.
For one, the original rating will remain the same. The "concensus" rating will appear below the "user quality" rating.

I will add some code that does not allow the rating to stray more than 2 letter grades from the original. I will also add code to not allow a user to grade a route unless it is on their spray list.

Currently, a user can only submit one grade per route. If they try again, it will not be inserted into the database (although it will appear to be submitted). Same holds true for the "User Quality" rating.
SikMonkey

Post by SikMonkey »

Ya know, this site gets better every day and I personally think that it is definitely one of the most innovative, interactive and all around complete climbing databases I have ever seen. Ray has done a kick ass job not only putting everything together, but also with who he gets to help him with such things as moderating and the like. Again, great job Ray!

Mj
...quitting drinking is kinda like washing your hands after you take a crap...why start now?
ray
Site Admin

Post by ray »

Man, thanks a lot Monkey! :D
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

This is when I wish I had a screen capture program.

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... php?id=623

If it chages quickly the first vote apparently was for a 5.14c.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
ray
Site Admin

Post by ray »

Just remember that all of you have this little tracking device called a user id. So if you screw around, I may just hunt you down and kill you.