Best Hot Weather Crag?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
Rx2Climb

Best Hot Weather Crag?

Post by Rx2Climb »

I will probably be going out Saturday. Its supposed to be over 90 degrees and humid AF. IYO whats the best hot weather crag?I know its gonna suck, but whats the best crag for this?
Drugs are Cool!
climb2core

Re: Best Hot Weather Crag?

Post by climb2core »

Sunnyside, Solar Collector, and Sunbeam Buttress are my go to warm weather crags. If those are busy, usually can find some peace and quiet at Bruise Brothers.
Rx2Climb

Post by Rx2Climb »

climb2core wrote:Sunnyside, Solar Collector, and Sunbeam Buttress are my go to warm weather crags. If those are busy, usually can find some peace and quiet at Bruise Brothers.
Thanks Climb2core. I have never heard of this Bruise Brothers place. Is it dog, kid, loud music, large group toprope, and chain smoking friendly?
Drugs are Cool!
MikeWilkinson

Post by MikeWilkinson »

don't forget your hammock and case of beer
MikeWilkinson

Post by MikeWilkinson »

Some of the climbs that are found in the gullies and corridors between rock walls seem to have a bit of natural AC running, and I've found them to be 10-15 degrees cooler than the main face of the wall they are adjacent to. For example, Lobster Claw and Cork Eye in the PMRP. Since that side has a lot of north facing climbs, I've ended up there on hot days. Also the furthest left 3-4 routes at the Monastery were a bit cooler on a hot day when I climbed them last year, shade all day I think.
tyler.yarbrough

Post by tyler.yarbrough »

+1 for Lobster Claw in PMRP, great call MikeWilkinson. Really awesome route and in that chilly little corridor
tyler.yarbrough

Post by tyler.yarbrough »

+1 for Lobster Claw in PMRP, great call MikeWilkinson. Really awesome route and in that chilly little corridor
sbailey077

Post by sbailey077 »

Shipyard in PMRP is pretty shady all day and stays pretty empty as far as crowds go. Deep End in Miller Fork is a good bet for shade as well.
nik

Post by nik »

Dissenting opinion:

When it's simply hot the dark corridors and perpetually shady crags (e.g., deep end, shady grove, undertow [to a certain extent], boneyard/midnight surf, darkside, phantasia, etc.) are great. Stay in the shade and have a great time. However, when it's hot AND really humid those spots are frequently slimy mank-fests. This, of course, depends on some other factors (rock temps vs. air temps, etc.), but generally speaking hot and humid is risky for those crags. The lobster claw corridor in particular I would wager will be gross this weekend.

On these kinds of days I try to shoot for places that get a breeze (if there is any breeze) and ideally some sun in the morning. So even though ppl might be joking about Solarium and Solar Collector, I think they're both good options if you're willing to warm up elsewhere and wait until they go into the shade (early afternoon for Solarium, not sure about Solar, but around the same time I think). Otherwise, I'd go with areas where you can bounce around and chase shade, but on rock that has gotten some sun to dry things out a bit. So Sore Heel, Drive-By, Infirmary, or the cliff-line from Inner Sanctum over to Shawnee Shelter (Shawnee Shelter itself probs manky).