Is this going to be in the online guidebook anytime soon?

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
samwisedhiman

Re: Is this going to be in the online guidebook anytime soon

Post by samwisedhiman »

The only guidebook you need for that area is the King James edition Holy Bible
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

samwisedhiman wrote:The only guidebook you need for that area is the King James edition Holy Bible
Well it's not like there wasn't a big sign telling us to "let's study Bible only, no special translations or creeds" hanging on Rt 11-498 turnoff for years. So you are probably right. But for the heathens, looks like they have attempted a miniguide.

http://www.cathedraldomain.org/rock-domain
:-)

Post by :-) »

It's owned by Episcopals in Lexington, not Baptists from Irvine. So, I doubt Jesus will rule it with an iron fist.
allah

Post by allah »

Who are the ones developing? Can the bolts be trusted haha Why not allow free parking for a short time to allow the masses to check it out and decide for themselves if it is worth going back to and paying the parking fee the same as Muir did. I for one hate the idea of religion but if this area can help spread everyone out then more power to them.
Chiyram

Post by Chiyram »

Rule #22. The Cathedral Domain requires that all climbers must use a clip stick to the first anchor before beginning any climbing route.

Stick clip to the First set of anchors? That's a long stick clip and does that mean there is multi pitch routes?
whatahutch

Post by whatahutch »

I've been there before for climbing. Rock is everywhere and of the same general quality as any other place in the Red. It is well worth it for development purposes and/or climbing.

As for the concerns about religion... this is an episcopal church camp. Episcopal is like Catholic Light. Episcopals probably party more in the name of the Lord than climbers do in the name of fun. I got so drunk at a wedding here once I had to swear off Bourbon Barrel Ale for life. Seriously, I'd only drink another one if it was the beer or my life. It's terrible when it comes back up... like puking up boiler makers all night.
"Come to send, not condescend" - Eddie Vedder
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

Chiyram wrote:Rule #22. The Cathedral Domain requires that all climbers must use a clip stick to the first anchor before beginning any climbing route.

Stick clip to the First set of anchors? That's a long stick clip and does that mean there is multi pitch routes?
Yes, there is 2 bolt anchor every 10 feet which makes a lot of the routes 3-4 pitches!

I think you missed climbing 101 on the definition of an anchor, per wikipedia: "In rock climbing, an anchor can be any device or method for attaching a climber, a rope, or a load to the climbing surface, typically rock, ice, steep dirt, or a building - either permanently or temporarily. The intention of an anchor is case-specific but is usually for fall protection, primarily fall arrest and fall restraint."
Chiyram

Post by Chiyram »

DrRockso wrote:
Chiyram wrote:Rule #22. The Cathedral Domain requires that all climbers must use a clip stick to the first anchor before beginning any climbing route.

Yes, there is 2 bolt anchor every 10 feet which makes a lot of the routes 3-4 pitches!

I think you missed climbing 101 on the definition of an anchor, per wikipedia: "In rock climbing, an anchor can be any device or method for attaching a climber, a rope, or a load to the climbing surface, typically rock, ice, steep dirt, or a building - either permanently or temporarily. The intention of an anchor is case-specific but is usually for fall protection, primarily fall arrest and fall restraint."

Oh right, I forgot we call every "bolt" an anchor now. That must have happened in the last week or so.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

Yes, we have been calling bolts fixed anchors long before you were climbing. A few years ago I attended a conference with experts on bolting from all over the US. It was called "The Future of Fixed Anchors" and not "The future of Bolt Clippy Thingies"