The Gallery Fence

Discussions full of RAGE!
ynp1

The Gallery Fence

Post by ynp1 »

I made a trip to the Red for the first time in around 4 years. Had a great time, but some of the changes or pretty shitty...

First, the new fence or guard rail, that was installed at the base of the Gallery below 27 years of climbing area. What is the point of it? Were people falling down the very low angle hill? Also, it was very poorly made. The posts are not anchored well, the wood is not pressure treated and the screws used to drill into a tree (BS in itself) are only like an 1 1/2” long and are already pulling out. Really poor carpentry!

Also, the “rules” sign at the base is stupid.

Is this the kind of crap the RRGCC is spending their money on?!? Total waste... I would never donate to an organization that waste money like this. If you have to much money, then quit having fundraisers and shit. I fully support the land purchases, good trails, and toilets, but more signs and shitty infrastructure is fucked!

Rant over... how do you guys like it?
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
:-)

Re: The Gallery Fence

Post by :-) »

Why don't you call up Tommy Caldwell and Brittany Giffith and tell them to move it!
Attachments
tommy-brittany.jpg
Last edited by :-) on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

If you'd been to the Gallery in the past few years, you would have seen all the erosion caused by foot traffic under the most popular routes. That fence isn't meant to keep horses in. Pretty sure it's to keep foot traffic and soil compaction confined to the area long the cliff. It's already doing that job.

Also, I bet you've never given 2 cents to the Coalition since you don't drink the "kool-aid," as you've written in the past. Despite your bitching about the coalition, about muir, and about everything else, you some how keep climbing at those place. Go figure. Who cares if you "stop" donating. Go enjoy your free lunch while you continue to insult the people who feed you healthy climbing areas.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Oh, Tommy put it in! How cool!! I love the sign now!

Smiley... That fence will not make it through the winter. It was poorly made. If you think it is really needed, then do it right. Currently it was a wasted effort.

Also, I don’t climb at Muir Valley. Fuck that place...
DrRockso

Post by DrRockso »

If you don't like it, go fix it. Otherwise we could do without your whiny, pathetic bitching. What brings you to the gumby side of the gallery in the first place? You have 2 options in these situations, get involved and actually contribute, or stop going there. Oh, or the third option, shut your gaping herpes infested trap.
whoneedsfeet

Post by whoneedsfeet »

you're all acting like children...smh
Skipping cruxes is a way of life.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I could have removed it by hand in about 10 minutes... that would have fixed it! I will next time I am there, but I am sure the elements will take care of it before I get there again...

Also thanks Doctor, I was wondering what that was on my lip... or 4th option... I could say something, that I would guess A LOT of other climbers are thinking, but just don’t want to say it because all the KOOL kids will rip on them...

Ya’ll really think this was a good idea?!? If so, what sad hands the Red is in...

Leave No Trace principle #2 is to stay on durable surfaces. The base of the cliff is already compacted. It's the durable surface. Most of the rest of PMRP isn't. At the Gallery, a 1,000 different climbers walked a 1,000 different directions to go pee behind 1,000 different trees. The soil compaction and resulting erosion was extending way beyond the base of the cliff....like 100 feet out. If you have a better idea for keeping people from sticking to the durable surfaces, the already compacted soil, I'm all ears.

PS: The signs weren't just put up by Tommy. They were part of The ROCK Project organized by Black Diamond and the Access Fund. https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... oject.html
Attachments
7principlessticker_nobigfoot-01.jpg
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Really?!? It was very covered with leaves when I was there, but it did not look like 100’ from the base was impacted. If so, then maybe build a fence that will last a lot longer and is done right...

But, funny to use leave no trace principles to justify building a fence....
Nick

Post by Nick »

Yup you're right...the Red is fucked...you probably shouldn't go back for another 4 years, cya in 2022!