The Kentucky Wall

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Ascentionist

Re: The Kentucky Wall

Post by Ascentionist »

heath wrote:
Catawaba wrote:If a list of climbs with historical anchors (tat, left nuts or what not) was compiled with photo proof. Would that be enough of a defensible item to be allowed to climb at least some of the routes at Kentucky Wall?

Kentucky Wall is clear to climb. The only dispute around the wall is about a few anchors.
Was there any kind of environmental or archaeological studies done to support the approval of the development of the wall? I'm not busting your balls, but I know what the process entails. It's not a handshake deal and its not something that would go unnoticed by the outdoor community at large.

I've been trying to get approval for new mountain bike trails on the National Forest and also to do maintenance work on an existing trail. I've been at it for over two years and the answer is still "be patient." Of course that's better than the answers we got when all this climbing shit was blowing up. We actually have a decent District Ranger now.
There is no TEAM in I
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I'm stoked for what you all have done. I don't want to throw shade on it at all. I just watched Time in the Red and loved it. I know what potential is there. i walked for years along clifflines by myself. I don't know if my anti-social tendencies, or personality, or depression, or what kept me from ever falling in with the right group of people to go out and do what you all have done in the northern Gorge. Fear kept me out of a lot of cracks that I wanted to climb when I had my few good opportunities. My last good FA was an overhanging 5.10 crack I called Slave to the Grind if that gives you any indication...

What I would hate to see is all of your hard work seriously tainted because you walked into the wrong dark alley unprepared. I can mainly tell you what the scene was 15-20 years ago and what those conversations were and how it shook out in the backwoods then. I don't know if Matt Nasty is still on here, but he very well may remember the time I came across him getting ready to bolt somewhere shouldn't have and he thought I was a Forest Ranger and almost pissed himself. He honestly thought he wasn't on the National Forest. It was fun to see him cringe when he told me his handle on here. That was the first time he and I met in person. I just had to laugh.

Alright, grandpa is going to go back to mumbling to himself for awhile...
There is no TEAM in I
jnolte

Post by jnolte »

dear god why did i read all of this? seems mike alot of facts and opinions being thrown around. Heath and friends did alot of wondering around climbed some really cool shit 1% of the climbers in the red will ever see it unless some day they pave a road right to it anyways so why the hell did smiley anon get so mad. finding out the guy climbs made it even worse i bet he has his dog with him when he climbs and hammock. my user name is my name i dont have anything to hide