Smaller 0.4/0.3 C4's or Doubles in 1 and 2?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
BostonHammock

Smaller 0.4/0.3 C4's or Doubles in 1 and 2?

Post by BostonHammock »

I'm at the point after following my partners for a while that I want to start leading trad. Unfortunately with the group I climb trad with the partner with most of the gear can't always make it. So I was thinking of picking up a single rack to be able to contribute.

My plan was to buy a single rack of C4's 0.3-4 since they are on sale right now. But Since I know the gorge tends to eat #1's and #2's, especially at the level I'll be climbing to start, I'm thinking of replacing the 0.3 and 0.4 with an additional 1 and 2.

What do the more expirienced climbers think? I know there are some placements for the smaller gear at the low grades, but I think many of them also take a nut too.
milspecmark

Re: Smaller 0.4/0.3 C4's or Doubles in 1 and 2?

Post by milspecmark »

You will use the 1 and 2 more but eventually you will need the small pieces. You might say to yourself, "I dont want to fall on this 0.3 anyway" but I can tell you from experience, when its the only option, you will be very thankful you have it.
BostonHammock

Post by BostonHammock »

Thanks for the input! Decided to buy the doubles. Sogned up for the REI credit card and got a gift card for my dividend because the "instant credit" option wasn't working. That plus the $100 gift card for making a purchase with it will buy me the smaller gear later this year!
caribe

Post by caribe »

You can stretch your dollar on the smaller end. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing- ... Master-Cam
This gear is just as good, I dear say better than BD.