Lowering on anchors.

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
milspecmark

Lowering on anchors.

Post by milspecmark »

So I read 2 articles today on facebook. One from American Alpine club and one from the RRG Fixed gear initiative. Both are recommending us lower from the anchors now rather than Rappelling. I have been climbing in the Red for about 8 years now and I have always heard it is more ethical to Rap than Lower. I just wanted to get your all thoughts on this issue. Do you Rap or lower?
Rotarypwr345704

Re: Lowering on anchors.

Post by Rotarypwr345704 »

This topic hasn't been beaten like the proverbial dead horse.
I fell for the everyone-shut-up-and-ill-donate-money scheme. -Ray Ellington, guidebook gawd

My name is Sam Douglass and I love to pose for photo shoots holding on to a jug with only one hand (and no feet!) with my best friend Ian.
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

To say it is more ethical to rappel on a one pitch route is completely stupid when quicklinks are a dollar and easily replaceable.
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

I dont worry about the cost as much as I worry about people actually keeping up with it.
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

milspecmark wrote:I don't worry about the cost as much as I worry about people actually keeping up with it.
"People" include you. Do your part to make sure the anchors are good on the routes you climb. Even if just a small minority of people does that, everything is fine, because those chains can take thousands of lowerings before they become dangerous. So ~1 person in a thousand carrying a couple of extra quicklinks in their bag is good. Be that person.
clif

Post by clif »

quicklinks or the missing link?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
captain static

Post by captain static »

Don't you just love revisionism ;)
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
lena_chita

Post by lena_chita »

captain static wrote:Don't you just love revisionism ;)
Well, when the revisionism is in the right direction... :lol: The ability to change your mind in the face of solid reasoning/facts is a rather valuable, and rare, thing these day. I'm all for celebrating it.
EricDorsey

Post by EricDorsey »

Climbing in the Red almost a decade and you really don't know what the general consensus is yet?

This topic has been beat to death several times already but to answer your question I lower 98% of the time. It's easier, faster, and generally safer.
climb2core

Post by climb2core »

captain static wrote:Don't you just love revisionism ;)
This is not revisionism. This is evolution based upon best practice to mitigate risk. Less people decking or dying beats out the traditionalists need to preserve a piece of metal.