MV parking change and it's effect on your climbing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

Where will you climb?

I will climb at MV & other land the same as last year
61%
I will climb less at MV but still go there occasionally
19%
I will not climb at MV and only climb where there is free parking
11%
I have a dog and/or never climbed there anyway
6%
I don't climb anymore but still lurk on this site
3%

Total votes: 36

tactless

MV parking change and it's effect on your climbing

Post by tactless »

Someone complained it's too dull and I must agree - so with FOMV changing their parking policy - how will that impact your climbing?
milspecmark

Re: MV parking change and it's effect on your climbing

Post by milspecmark »

There is not an option that I will likely do. I will climb at MV more because I will assume the crowds will be less.
lena_chita

Re: MV parking change and it's effect on your climbing

Post by lena_chita »

milspecmark wrote:There is not an option that I will likely do. I will climb at MV more because I will assume the crowds will be less.
Well then, you will be one of the people who ensures that the crowds stay the same. :lol:

It is undeniable that Muir Valley has built itself up over years as a place that is comfortable for new climbers. And for climbers who are used to shelling $10-20 for a gym visit, splitting $10 among a group of 3-4 to go to a place where there are routes for them to do all day is not a big deal. They may not do it voluntarily, if they don't have to, but if they do have to, they will not consider it too-big-a-deal.

My prediction is that this change in parking policy will have a negligible effect on Muir Valley experience for people who go there. Some people would stay away, but it would be the number that is not noticeable enough to observe by simply looking around you at a crag. Maybe the number of people per car will go up from 3.2 to 3.9, as more people try to carpool and save on the parking. So maybe a group of 12 people that had previously rolled in in 4 cars, will now roll in in 3 cars. But in the end, there would still be the same 12 people going to Bruise Brothers from this group.

I am sure FOMV will have exact numbers to measure the effect of their new policy after a few months of observation.