Dangerous tree at Pebble Beach

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
sammyshoe

Dangerous tree at Pebble Beach

Post by sammyshoe »

Hello Climbers!

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report something like this, but I thought it was worth a shot. Last weekend my friends and I were climbing at the Pebble Beach wall when we heard a huge crash from above. A large dead tree came crashing down at the top of the wall, sending debris raining down on us! Thankfully the bulk of the tree did not come cascading down the wall, and nobody was hurt. However, the trunk and branches are hanging over the edge of the cliff directly above the Reserved Seating route. It's hard to say how precarious this tree is, but if the trunk comes down the wall face, it could be VERY bad for climbers below.
milspecmark

Re: Dangerous tree at Pebble Beach

Post by milspecmark »

Thanks for the update
Steve_RRG

Post by Steve_RRG »

That's actually a fairly common occurrence in the Red. Surprising that we haven't had a serious injury. I recall a couple years ago walking up to an area with several shaken climbers who had just seen a 12" diameter and about 20' long tree trunk land on the ground between them.
Bruisebrother

Post by Bruisebrother »

Widow makers can be avoided by staying in the GYM! Welcome to the Red. Thanks for the Report, Climb-Safe.