Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Posts here will show on front page

Moderator: terrizzi

ray
Site Admin

Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Post by ray »

Raiden

Re: Miller Fork guidebook preview and sample!

Post by Raiden »

Looks great Ray! I love the maps and illustration.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Looks great Ray & Michelle!

Are you accepting pre-orders? If so, where do we go to place one?
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Spikeddem

Post by Spikeddem »

This guidebook is gorgeous!! The 3D maps are pretty fancy. Curious though-- with the rate of development in the MFRP, why not make a cheap black and white guidebook for the first edition?
Josephine wrote:Are you accepting pre-orders? If so, where do we go to place one?
Looks like pre-sales summer 2015.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Thanks Josephine! We'll start taking orders in the summer. We're planning to go to press in July.

Thanks Spike! Those maps have been fun to make. It's pretty exciting watching the 3D model take shape as more and more GPS data is collected. As far as a cheap black/white guidebook, the online guidebook pretty much serves this purpose. With the rate of development, I think we'd have to wait two more years to make a guide before development slows down! The land is special and the 300+ developed routes are ready to be enjoyed. Plus, support is needed for trail days and donations to pay off the purchase. The guidebook will hopefully help promote the work the RRGCC is doing to preserve climbing in Kentucky.

Michelle
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
TradMike

Post by TradMike »

Am I the only one or does that flake he is about to clip into look suspect? Not completely attached and ready for the first heavy person to pull on it?
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

Lots of fatties have fallen there to no avail. Picture just makes it look semi scary.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

Man, I really like the new format of the guidebook, looks great!

On the 3D picture of the area, near the Laboratory is there a sink hole on top of the cliff? I have not been out there, but it looks like a really interesting formation. Kind of like a volcano, or am I just looking at it wrong.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

Thanks for the positive feedback! It means a lot! :)

As for that crazy formation....I honestly don't know but I thought the same thing. Here's a pic from an aerial photo so something is there for sure. Mountain top removal maybe? The terrain is called a DEM (digital elevation model) and is developed from old Kentucky elevation datasets. If anyone knows, speak up! ....I'm curious too.
sp.JPG
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

It's another bulldozed/clearcut area to enhance the "view" for landowners, much like the one on top of Serenity Point. Makes for easy hiking but hellish rapping in from above... scraggly new growth thorns and huge widowmakers everywhere.