Miller Fork : the Tale of a Three Star Area

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
AlexAndEr

Miller Fork : the Tale of a Three Star Area

Post by AlexAndEr »

My first time to Miller Fork I was expecting some quality climbs, but I was sadly disappointed. Miller Fork is full of three star climbs and the 'classics' are four stars at best. Five star climbs are no where in sight. What's going on? Is there more rock, (not the shit kind)?
Cromper

Re: Miller Fork : the Tale of a Three Star Area

Post by Cromper »

Go back to Canada :P
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

As someone who has developed around 20 routes in Miller, I have to agree. There are a lot of great climbs, but I have yet to see anything five star. Has anyone even seen a lone 5 star gem, any grade?
Living the dream
Cromper

Post by Cromper »

Andrew wrote:As someone who has developed around 20 routes in Miller, I have to agree. There are a lot of great climbs, but I have yet to see anything five star. Has anyone even seen a lone 5 star gem, any grade?
I got one way back in the woods :wink: , and what the hell are you talking about, Singularity is 5 stars!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

did you climb it? And is your way back in the woods actually in Miller?
Living the dream
pumpout2004

Post by pumpout2004 »

I agree. I think Miller is going to serve its purpose perfectly (i.e. as an area of good, fun climbing to disperse the growing crowds), but i'm curious, geologically, how it is possible to have such a large area of rock with no pristine lines. Just five miles northeast is the southern region proper, and here it would seem that for every 50 or so climbs there is a gem, yet miller - nothing. Just bad luck? Or does the red river gorge geology yield poorer quality rock just outside of a very limited range? Maybe some of the avid cliff explorers can weigh in.
Chuffer juice!
clif

Post by clif »

the implication seems to be that this is not just a questionr of the degree of cleaning?
training is for people who care, i have a job.
tbwilsonky

Post by tbwilsonky »

there's no surefire recipe for success when it comes to finding good stuff in the DBNF, which is precisely why we keep rounding the next corner.
haunted.
EricDorsey

Post by EricDorsey »

A lot of the climbs I have done in the MFRP are as good as some of the older "classics" that this site and the book lists as 5 star routes. Just not covered in as much chalk and grease yet...
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

Perhaps there is no Gold Coast (although Cromp's super secret kool kid wall comes close), but how many could there be really? The rock in MFRP is no different than the rock in PMRP or Muir. Some walls are choss that will get better with time, some walls are good. Monastery, Corner Pocket, Cloud 9, Secret Garden, Fruit Wall, Highlands, and Graveyard/Morgue all have very good routes. Hourglass Crack, Cornerstone, and Scalpel are easily "5-star" on the absurdist RRG scale. I also think the 12's at Monastery are as good as the 5.12 Wall at Torrent. You guys are letting cynical cool-guy attitude and lack of traffic confound your inferences.