Nylon fixed to anchors on "There goes the neighborhood"

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
z56o2

Nylon fixed to anchors on "There goes the neighborhood"

Post by z56o2 »

Someone used quick links to attach a set of nylon dogbones with aluminium biners to the last link of each anchor chain. They may or may not be ok for now but I wasn't willing to trust them for cleaning or top roping. If I had had a knife or wrench with me I would have pulled them. They won't last forever and my concern is someone trusting them and falling from the anchors. Also, since the nylon dogbones are attached to the quick links at the bottom of the chain I had to run the rope through a chain link somewhere in the middle of the chain to clean on rappel which made pulling the rope a pain in the ass. I plan on getting back out to funk rock sometime in the next month or two so unless someone beats me to it I'm going to cut them off. I assume whoever put them there intended to do everyone a solid but those anchors are fairly exposed, nylon baking in the sun doesn't last.
Josephine

Re: Nylon fixed to anchors on "There goes the neighborhood"

Post by Josephine »

z56o2 wrote:Someone used quick links to attach a set of nylon dogbones with aluminium biners to the last link of each anchor chain. They may or may not be ok for now but I wasn't willing to trust them for cleaning or top roping. If I had had a knife or wrench with me I would have pulled them. They won't last forever and my concern is someone trusting them and falling from the anchors. Also, since the nylon dogbones are attached to the quick links at the bottom of the chain I had to run the rope through a chain link somewhere in the middle of the chain to clean on rappel which made pulling the rope a pain in the ass. I plan on getting back out to funk rock sometime in the next month or two so unless someone beats me to it I'm going to cut them off. I assume whoever put them there intended to do everyone a solid but those anchors are fairly exposed, nylon baking in the sun doesn't last.
Fixed Gear is not allowed on FS land. Please cut them off (if someone doesn't beat you to it). Thanks! :-)
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
Savage

Post by Savage »

Josephine wrote:
Fixed Gear is not allowed on FS land. Please cut them off (if someone doesn't beat you to it). Thanks! :-)
my concern, exactly! I might be headed to Funk rock next weekend, so I will fuck up some webbing if it's still there. I'll cut that puta.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Savage wrote:
Josephine wrote:
my concern, exactly! I might be headed to Funk rock next weekend, so I will fuck up some webbing if it's still there. I'll cut that puta.
I stand corrected. Bolts placed in rock are "fixed gear" - I was referring to fixed draws - which are not permitted.
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
captain static

Post by captain static »

Just to be clear the Daniel Boone National Forest considers fixed gear to include permanent installation of bolts, chocks, cam, and "straps" e.g. slings, quick draws, and permadraws. Bolts and anchors at existing climbing areas on existing climbs are OK, anything more is not.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
Willy

Post by Willy »

I took the dumb nylon draws off the anchors without any tools last I was out there. Did you even try to unscrew the quick links by hand before you made a whole thread about it?
dustonian

Post by dustonian »

silly Willy, this is the Red... we have people like you to do all that hard manual labor