Great hike, easy top rope or established sport

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
Ken84il

Great hike, easy top rope or established sport

Post by Ken84il »

Really want to get the new girlfriend out and interested in climbing. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some really great hiking, even a really long hike that would lead to some relatively easier climbing. I planned to take her to Half Moon and Mariba Fork for starters. This will be MY first time to Mariba Fork, but have heard its beautiful and pretty straight forward.. She has never been climbing and I want to keep it simple and more about the hike and the views. Thinking a couple routes that can easily be set for TR or an area that has a couple easy sport routes that don't see a lot of traffic. Any input is helpful, Thank you.
krampus

Re: Great hike, easy top rope or established sport

Post by krampus »

jewel pinicle, great all around
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Just make sure you read the comments on Mariba Fork. http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... wall&id=63

Don't let the farmer's horses out and try not to go down the wrong gulley.
http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/496691/daniel_beck.html
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

Wolf wrote:Just make sure you read the comments on Mariba Fork. http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... wall&id=63

Don't let the farmer's horses out and try not to go down the wrong gulley.
Mariba fork is a lovely hike - i don't remember the climbing too much but i don't think the 5.4 was difficult
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
ikratzer

Post by ikratzer »

Jewel pinnacle, definitely, awesome climbing and great view, approach is a little weird, but not too bad. Mariba fork is good too, really pretty hike and a fun 5.4, approach is more straightforward than you would think, finding where to park is just as tricky as the hike itself.
"Because we're insane! There can't be any other reason." - Warren Harding
Ken84il

Post by Ken84il »

Pinnacle would be another first for me as well! Thanx!!
HelmetJam

Post by HelmetJam »

Went to Mariba Fork and Half Moon a couple weeks ago. Mariba was so beautiful, I felt like I was in the Amazon or something. Had some trouble routefinding on Half Moon. The guidebook's not very helpful. There was a lot of trash at the bottom, but we did find Full Moon and climb it. It was a little dirty, but FUN
kato

Post by kato »

Indian Staircase.
No chalkbag since 1995.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Lots of people get lost going to Mariba. That said, if you're halfway savvy at routefinding on the ground you should be fine. There is really no established trail and the bushwhacking can be gruesome if it's hot and humid. It is a really fantastic area though. Fantastic is my word for the day.
There is no TEAM in I
tpowell

Post by tpowell »

If she's never been climbing, take her to the auxier ridge trail. There's a 4th class scramble to the top where you can easily set up a tr and there's plenty of other stuff out there to play around on.