Camping - Miguel's? Lago Linda? Elsewhere?

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
dagibbs

Camping - Miguel's? Lago Linda? Elsewhere?

Post by dagibbs »

We're going to be down climbing at the Red the week following Easter (including both weekends) and we're looking to camp. We're not looking to party -- just to camp and climb.

How do the facilities at Linda's and Miguel's compare? How crowded are they both? Showers? Wifi? Cooking facilities? Other stuff to consider?

Are there other camping choices we should consider?

Thanks for any information.
SpikySkaKid

Re: Camping - Miguel's? Lago Linda? Elsewhere?

Post by SpikySkaKid »

Land of the Arches is pretty awesome and very laid back. Has all the facilities you would need. Both of the campgrounds you mentioned are great too. Can't really go wrong either way.
MrFizz

Post by MrFizz »

Miguel's is probably the best place to camp. It is very cheap very laid back. You won't get a fire pit or anything like that but it has showers and everything like that. It can get pretty crowded on busy weekends but it's not that bad. I can't speak for some of the other campgrounds around the red (mostly stay at Miguel's) but Koomer Ridge campground is really nice and you get your own little plot and everything if your into that. Lots of tourists will be there, screaming kids and shit like that, but it's more main stream camping.
If I was you I would stay at Miguel's.
What would crush with Arnold's tank?
milspecmark

Post by milspecmark »

Miguels - I dont like to camp at Miguels but I love to eat there. The camping situation is just an open field where kids just randomly put tents up. I dont really care to have tents all around me. I could see wanting to stay at Miguels if you are in your 20s.

Koomer - I preffer Koomer Ridge, much quieter and bathrooms are nicer. You get your own private spot. Not really many climbers. No wifi. You should try to get there before 5:00 on Friday to reserve a spot, it tends to fill up in the spring and in the fall. You can get a single site or a double. Each site has a gravel base with a picnic table, a fire ring, and a spot to hang trash. Great spot if you have a small group because no one else will be around you. Cost around $23 per night but each site sleeps around 6 so you can share the cost with others. Or get a double site and sleeps 10 or so (I think $26 per night). Hiking trails near by, located North.

Lago Lindas - I have never camped here but it is in the souther region. Great location if you will primarily be climbing there. If not, then it is a horrible location. I have heard very good things about it.

Land of Arches - Camped ther once. You dont have your own private spot, just random tents everywhere. They do have wifi. Restrooms and showers are nice. Good location, near Muir valley.

Backpack into the park - Or you can backpack 300 feet into the park (away from the trail) and set up your tent. You will need a $3 adventure pass from the shell station to park.
dagibbs

Post by dagibbs »

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm not sure where we'll be climbing, yet. I have to take a look through the guidebook (and online info) and figure that out. We're going to be looking for mostly easy stuff -- up to low 10s. A little bit of a drive in the morning, though, isn't too bad. We're used to that around home (Ottawa, Canada), too.
Willy

Post by Willy »

Land of Arches will be your best bet. MUCH quieter than Miguel's, close to good food (Rock House), and closest to Muir Valley where most of the easy climbs are.
tpowell

Post by tpowell »

I'm a huge fan of Lago Linda's. I camp there for any extended stay. 5 bucks a night for really nice facilities, good camping spots, wifi, and quiet. The location is a bit out of the way, but I've never found it to be too big of an issue.
dagibbs

Post by dagibbs »

Willy wrote:Land of Arches will be your best bet. MUCH quieter than Miguel's, close to good food (Rock House), and closest to Muir Valley where most of the easy climbs are.
From what I can tell from my guide (RRGRC expanded 3rd edition, 2010), most of the easier stuff is in Middle Gorge - i.e. Tower Wall and Lower Small Wall. Unless a bunch of easy sport has been put up in Muir Valley since that guide came out?
WCSART

Post by WCSART »

From what I can tell from my guide (RRGRC expanded 3rd edition, 2010), most of the easier stuff is in Middle Gorge - i.e. Tower Wall and Lower Small Wall. Unless a bunch of easy sport has been put up in Muir Valley since that guide came out?
Both Tower Rock and Lower Small Wall are predominately trad. So if you are looking to climb trad, that is the way to go. However, if you are looking to climb easy sport, Muir Valley is where you want to head, with walls such as Bruise Brother's http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuid ... all&id=131 chock full of great, easy, sport routes.
weber

Post by weber »

dagibbs wrote:
Willy wrote:Land of Arches will be your best bet. MUCH quieter than Miguel's, close to good food (Rock House), and closest to Muir Valley where most of the easy climbs are.
UP-TO-DATE Moderate routes in Muir Valley are listed here: http://www.muirvalley.com/what-are-you-looking-for.html

Land of the Arches campground is conveniently located between Muir and the PMRP.
We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. - Randy Pausch
None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm. - Henry David Thoreau